Smoking Cured Uncooked Peameal Bacon

Started by sdcaller, April 06, 2012, 05:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdcaller

Got my Bradley last Christmas and did some beef ribs in January.
Ice fishing season was a bust this year and had no lake trout or whitefish to smoke.
Haven't bothered to use it during the cold weather, but now that is over, time to get back to it.

My local supermarket has a special on cured uncooked pork loins they sell as pea meal bacon which is intended to be sliced and fried.

I plan to wash off the pea meal/corn meal and soak the loins in cold water for 30 minutes, pat dry, and allow to dry for 30 minutes and then put in my smoker at 200 degrees.

I will smoke for 1hr 40min with apple and then continue in the smoker until the loins reach 140 degrees.

The pieces will be 3 to 4 lbs each and I'm thinking total smoker time will be about 1 hour per pound? Does this sound right.

At the end of it, I hope to have back bacon or "Canadian bacon" that I can then slice and freeze.

I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

rajzer

Forget about timing.  Smoke it for no more than 2-3,  and you are finished when the internal temp reaches 150.  You could also take it out at 120 and finish by poaching in 160 water bath.  Let us know how it turned out.

I did some back bacon a couple of weeks ago when loins were on sale for 2 bucks a pound.  A little too long in the brine, but it was not too bad in a sandwich.

Habanero Smoker

I love pea meal bacon, and when I make Canadian bacon I always put one piece aside to make pea meal, but have never smoked pea meal (that I will have to try).

After washing off the corr meal, I would slice a piece and pan fry it. If the salt taste is the way you like your bacon, there is not need to soak it. I use the same amount of smoke, and internal temperature that you plan on using. The only difference is, I use a cabinet temperature of 225°F. As far as time, I've lost my log notes, and I now have a modified two element Bradley, so I can't give you a time, as to when they will reach 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sdcaller

Smoked my whole peameals on Sunday(4lbs each).

Washed the peameal/cornmeal off first and applied a light coating of freshly ground black pepper.

Gave them 1 hour and 40 minutes of apple smoke at 225 degrees and left them in the smoker for a total of 3 hours and 15 minutes at that temp. Took them out when they reached 140 degrees internal temp.

Sliced them yesterday on the slicing machine and I've got great looking and tasting back bacon (Canadian bacon).

Froze the slices on wax paper on a cookie sheet and then put them in Ziplock bags in the freezer.

I've got enough bacon to last me several months.

SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

Habanero Smoker

Great!  Glad to hear it turned our alright. Looks like you didn't have to soak it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

danogg

Just curious as to why you would rinse the cornmeal off?  It's the best part of the peameal roast!  We smoke ours right out of the package at 220 degrees for 4 hours.

Jim O

I saw a recipe on the forum a number of years ago, and have used it many times. Always turns out great. I wash the peameal off, let it stand until it reaches room temp, then into the Bradley at 150 # for 45 min.
I then bring the temp up to 200# and apply smoke , Hickory in my case, for 2 hours. I then continue until the internal temp reaches 145#,then let it sit in the smoke for 1 hour. After it has cooled, I slice and vac seasl in packs of 4 slices, which is enough for breaky for the bride and I.. I usually do 4-5 lbs at a time ie: 4 -5 pieces on 2 racks. Incidentally, I rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back half way thru the cook.
Never been disappointed.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Piker

I use incurred pork loin cut into 3lb. Chunks and then I apply a dry cure made up of various pieces and leave in in the frig for 7  or 8 days and then smoke it with hickory until I.t. Of 140f. Very similar method as belly bacon. I have not been disappointed yet. Sorry I meant uncured pork loin. piker