SERIOUS sauce question

Started by Consooger, April 06, 2012, 11:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Does anyone have any sauce recipes that they make that age for over 3-6 months? I have a friend who makes a sauce and he lives way far away and I can never get to him to get any nor will he send it or give me the recipe. I didn't know if anyone made any sauces like this or not?

Maybe if I sent him some jerky and pistachio's I can get the recipe off him!  :o >:(

-Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

slowpoke

Sounds like there's firmontation going on.This recipe is probably his very own and I can't blame him for not wanting to share.You may have to up the anti awhole lot more than jerky and pistachio's lol.You've tweeked my interest, I'm on the hunt too.All the Best.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Consooger

Yeah he normally does these batches every year and lets them sit every year, I tasted a batch from 2006 and that was in 2009 and then I tasted a batch in 2011 from 2008 and it was equally amazing! He puts it in his basement and just pulls it as needed! F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

slowpoke

What would you put this sauce on?Is it a hot sauce(spicey).My mom used to make a chilli sauce and put it down for months.WE used it before ketchup.It almost went with everything.I like your other friend hold this recipe too dear to part with it.LOL
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

devo

I made this sauce a while ago. Nepas had posted the recipe and I find it goes well on chicken and most anything. Anyone I have giving some to really likes it.

Grapette Soda BBQ Sauce

Consooger

Devo - I actually found tha sauce the other night. I'm picking up the ingredients for this today and making o Tuesday. From what I read it's very good.

Slow Poke - this was a sauce that he put onto ribs. One of the best sauces I have ever tasted. It was a runny sauce too, not very thick. Had a bite of vinegar to it as well.  Oh well, maybe I can beg a plead with him for the recipe.
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

It sounds like your friend is fermenting his sauce in either wood barrels or crocks. There are many aged sauces on the market, and this thread has me interest in trying to make my own. These sauces don't have to be hot (like Tabasco Sauce); Worcestershire Sauce and Soy Sauce are good examples of an aged sauce. They usually go through a fermentation process, that will provide a distinctive tang.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consooger

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 09, 2012, 02:41:32 AM
It sounds like your friend is fermenting his sauce in either wood barrels or crocks. There are many aged sauces on the market, and this thread has me interest in trying to make my own. These sauces don't have to be hot (like Tabasco Sauce); Worcestershire Sauce and Soy Sauce are good examples of an aged sauce. They usually go through a fermentation process, that will provide a distinctive tang.

Habs,

This sauce does have a special tang to it, as I said a very bitter distinct taste to it. I don't think he ages it in anything special. He has brought it to us a few times at work in the containers that he puts it in after he cooks it and they are simple 1-2 gallon plastic jugs. As I said I am looking into making something like this as well, as well as trying to squeeze the secret recipe out of him. Let me know if you find anything out o this as I will post any information if I fins anything on making a sauce on this as well.

-Sugar
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

Great! If I come across anything I'll let you know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kahunas

Can't say as I blame him....there is no way I am giving my recipe up. It took too long to get it right to give it away. Besides, then everyone would talk about his sauce. (I'm selfish I guess)
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.