Woods ... Apple, cherry, walnut or hickory ??

Started by Old Frenchie, April 07, 2012, 02:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Frenchie

Another newbie question ....

I have a large supply of "free" apple, cherry, and black walnut woods (from trees on my property). I have read about these wood's characteristics on this forum but am still uncertain about what to use.

My first project will be smoking some sausages and Kielbasa.

Would one of of the above woods be okay (or a combination) or should I just go out and buy some hickory ??

Thanks ....
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

mikecorn.1

Mike

devo

The black walnut sounds very interesting for sausage, I'm a hickory man myself. Just wondering how you plan on burning the wood in a Bradley if thats what your using?

Old Frenchie

Quote from: devo on April 07, 2012, 02:36:09 PM
The black walnut sounds very interesting for sausage, I'm a hickory man myself. Just wondering how you plan on burning the wood in a Bradley if thats what your using?

Wish I could say I have a Bradley but as a newbie I have not yet acquired one ... just using a cheap Brinkman.

As addictive as this hobby seems to be I would imagine I will have a bradley as soon as I convince myself that I can make good sausage.

Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker

mikecorn.1

RUBISH, NONSENSE, ;) ;D. I got mine in 2009 and never smoked a thing. ;D :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

pikeman_95

I would suggest that you try the Apple first. I my self almost exclusively use apple that I chip my self. I have used hickory for special projects but did not think it was worth the cost.

Habanero Smoker

There is nothing wrong with a Brinkman. I used a Brinkman Gourmet for many years. Be careful with the Black Walnut. I have used it and I feel the flavor is stronger then hickory, and even if you apply just a little too much you will get a very strong bitter taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Old Frenchie

Thanks everyone !!! :)

I can't get over how great this site is ....  The vast knowledge & experience ... friendly ... and the willingness to share and help !!!

A really appreciative newbie,
Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker

slowpoke

Not to ruffle feathers,but,youtube has the bbq pitt boys,they use what looks like a brinkman.I had one for years too.Worked great.
Might be brinkman hints on youtube too.All the best.Apple wood or hickory wood.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Old Frenchie

Thanks Slowpoke, for the YouTube reference ... lots of good info there for a newbie.

Sounds like I'll try the apple for now, and maybe buy a small amount of hickory later to compare to.
Brinkman Electric Smoker

rajzer

Not speaking from experience, but from reading an exchange agout different woods for smoking on the Polish wedlininy domowe site, the consensus there is that walnut is to be avoided.  Horse chestnut is even worse.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: rajzer on April 14, 2012, 04:31:32 PM
Not speaking from experience, but from reading an exchange agout different woods for smoking on the Polish wedlininy domowe site, the consensus there is that walnut is to be avoided.  Horse chestnut is even worse.

You do have to be careful with black walnut, but if used properly it like a stronger version of hickory. When I have used it, I always removed any bark that was remaining on the wood.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

I find myself using apple for just about everything anymore.

-Brian

Old Frenchie

Thanks guys .... !!!

I will stay away from the walnut for sure.

The apple, which I have plenty of (2 very old "summer" apple trees that I do not like ... prefer the Fall varieties), sounds like the way to go.

Thanks again,
Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker