Why no smoke ring?

Started by veggieman, June 03, 2004, 10:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggieman

This may be a stupid question, but why is there no pink smoke ring on any of the meat I have done so far? I have smoked Turkey Breasts, Baby Back Ribs,Chicken, Pork Roast, and Rump Roast. I have yet to have a smoke ring like when I used my offset pit smoker. Everything has turned out great, but I was just wondering why no smoke ring appeared on the meat.

Fuzzybear

I don't know...I've not seen that pink/red ring either using the Bradley

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

PAsmoker

I, too, wondered about this.  I've seen varying explanations, but here's one I may go with.  I saw this very discussion on another board.  It seems that charcoal has some form of nitrate/nitrite  (do not remember which)in it & when burned it helps to make the smoke ring.  These people using the "other brand" of elec smoker can achieve a smoke ring by adding 1 charcoal brisquette to their wood plate while smoking.  I haven't tried this yet in the Bradley.
The Original PAsmoker

MallardWacker

Just a thought here guys....  The idea of maybe putting a half a charcoal (cut in half with my bandsaw)on the begining of the smoke cycle.  Any idea what adverse reactions this might have????  It might add something to the flavor.......

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Just a thought here guys....  The idea of maybe putting a half a charcoal (cut in half with my bandsaw)on the begining of the smoke cycle.  Any idea what adverse reactions this might have????  It might add something to the flavor.......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mallard,
My thoughts would be:
a)You would need more than one at the beginning of the cycle to have any noticeable effect on flavour
b)Charcoal is built to produce heat (and gases) which is what the Bradley is designed to avoid
c)When we toss on charcoal to our propane grills, it is to replicate smoke which we are already doing with the Bradley, so it seems redundant.

I am sure that if you used enough it would certainly alter the flavour and that might be a nice flavour, but IMO it would not be worth the hassle and could take away from the awesome BBQ that we can do with our smokers.  Like I said somewhere else I am excited about hot smoking a roast this year because I was so pleased with how a charcoal flavoured one come off the grill last year I know I can do better[:p]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

Well now you got me to thinking. In the pork that we use for Cuban sandwiches it is very slow roasted and it has that ring. Maybe it is the spices. Going to have to look into this more.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

WHite,

I think you correct here.  I get to thinking, I love steaks over charcaol, that is the only piece of meat (a big honkin' Porter House, medium rare, man-thats meat) that I like better than anything done in my BS.  Not that I wanted the grill flavor but chrcoal might have it's place once in a while.  Another thought here, the juices that drip on the charcoal is probably makes the flavor also, something you cannot do inside our BS.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

PAsmoker

The Original PAsmoker

MallardWacker

PA,

Great read, I kind of think that settles it.   Really, the idea of using tender-quick to creat a smoke ring is great idea.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Fuzzybear

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">a big honkin' Porter House<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[?][?]
Mallard:  Are you confused?  Don't you mean a goose? [?][:D]LOL!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

See what happens when you only eat duck stuff....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Eventually, taste will surpass appearance.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

veggieman

Thanks for the replies.  I agree Chez Bubba taste is what matters most.

MallardWacker

My wife says I confused quite often.  Sometimes I switch from my other forum that I read and things get a bit jumbled.  Here is a snippette from the other forum I subscribe to.  

<font color="blue">"The problems with the linear momentum formula is forgetting the basic premise that it should only be used when there are NO OUTSIDE FORCES. So linear momentum works great in outer space with point masses, no gravity and no friction.  Fortunately when the masses (cars) are not point masses, on earth and with friction collide the OUTSIDE FORCES tend to balance each other during the impact phase and cancel each other out or not large enough to effect the formula."</font id="blue">

Man I love this forum!!!!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />My wife says I confused quite often.  Sometimes I switch from my other forum that I read and things get a bit jumbled.  Here is a snippette from the other forum I subscribe to.  

<font color="blue">"The problems with the linear momentum formula is forgetting the basic premise that it should only be used when there are NO OUTSIDE FORCES. So linear momentum works great in outer space with point masses, no gravity and no friction.  Fortunately when the masses (cars) are not point masses, on earth and with friction collide the OUTSIDE FORCES tend to balance each other during the impact phase and cancel each other out or not large enough to effect the formula."</font id="blue">
Man I love this forum!!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font color="blue">"Linear momentum"</font id="blue"> - the bisquette advance
<font color="blue">"Outside Forces"</font id="blue"> - wife nagging you to mow the lawn
<font color="blue">"Outside forces tend to balance each other"</font id="blue"> - mow your lawn after you have stocked the smoker, and it can be left unattended for an hour or so
<font color="blue">"Linear momentum works great in outer space with point masses, no gravity and no friction"</font id="blue"> - smoker works even if you've had too many wobbly pops

Gee Mallard, your other forum fits right in with ours, I see how you can easily swich between the two, they operate on the exact same principals....LOL[:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.