Started by veggieman, June 03, 2004, 10:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

WhiteTail That was very clever![:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

White,

You'd be da man, I needed that chuckle today.  Hope to return the favor some day.  Really I never thought applying Newton's Third Law to this, but as we all know that all things are relative.  

I appreciate you all...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

[:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefJeff

Whitetail-Who has had too many wobbly pops?[:0][:0][:p]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

PAsmoker

I had a hard day Saturday, so on Sunday I decided to mess with the BS. I needed to smoke a turkey and four massive ribeyes, so I figured why not try some charcoal for the smoke ring test.  At first, I used the smoke plate to fire up the brisquette, but I thought that took to long.  I also had to reach in and remove the next wood biscuit so it wouldn't knock the charcoal into the bowl.  After the charcoal was going, I picked it out with tongs and placed it on the drip tray to smolder.  I had all day, so I didn't mind opening the door so much.  I'd check on the coal every once in a while to make sure it kept burning.  It did for a while, but not long enough for my liking.  So, off I went and got out my charcoal chimney and fired up another brisquette.  That was better, but I should have added two instead of one.  

My results?  I found a nice ring starting on the turkey and the steaks.  Like I said, I think two would have given me more of a ring.  Turkey was in about 7-8 hours and was succulent and moist with a nice smoke & CHARCOAL flavor.  I really liked the added flavor.  I definitely plan on adding charcoal on my next smoke.
The Original PAsmoker

BigSmoker

I only use natural lump charcoal in my grill.  You might try using lump instead of kingsford or the like.  The lump should light easier a stay going longer and give better flavor.  I think you might have to leave the top damper open slightly so the coal could get enough air to keep going?  Also to start lump a MAPP torch works well.  Its similiar to a propane torch but is supposed to burn hotter.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

PAsmoker

I always leave the top damper open at least 1/4".   Didn't have any lump, just kingsford.  Once I got one fired up in the chimney, it did better in the Bradley.  One coal by itself is always tough to keep going.
The Original PAsmoker

gorph

i just order me one of these smokers to see what they can do. I been smoking brisket in my Pitts & Spitts pit for years and just learned how to get a good smoke ring. I read somewhere long ago i belive it was a web site called smokering.com any wayback to the smoke ring problem. the smoke ring is not really a smoke ring but a chemical reaction meat has when it is going from a cold temp to a warmer temp and i believe the process happens at around 145 to 155 degrees meat-pit temp. What i started doing is when i fire up my pitt i used to wait for the inside temp of the pitt was around 180 to 200 degrees then throw my meat on it. Now what i do is when I get my fire started and the pitt starts to heat up i'll throw the meat on it at say 100 degrees and let it slowly heat up with the pitt until i get the pitt to 175-200 cooking temp. this takes about 1 hour. so by going with this formula i would start cooking and I'm guessing now since i don't have my new bradley smoker yet... lets put the meat in the smoker maybe start it at the lowest temp ..maybe just using the wood heat first to slowly get the temp inside the smoker to 150 degrees try to hold their for 30-60 minutes then go ahead and let the smoker get to the temp your going to cook at and sat back and drink a beer.
gorph

Bassman

I have often wondered if meat stops absorbing smoke flavor after a certain temp or amount of time. I found this article and thought it was intresting enough to share.[:)]
http://montanasbestbbq.teddybearbbq.com/askpitmaster.htm

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack