Bacon questions

Started by sjmcdowall, May 14, 2012, 01:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmcdowall

Ok - secured 22 lbs of side bellies for this weekend's activities - one of which will be a traditional American bacon

Sooooo - I read in the bible (that's that Chacuterie book ) he uses SKIN on side bellies then removes them after smoking etc - I've seen more recipes without the skin

So what's the better end result ?  I like the idea of skin off (and using that for smoked Cajun chicerones ) as easier but ....

Also any tips on the actual production with my cold smoker unit ?

Cheers !!

/Steve

P..s. the other bacons are pancetta and ventreche and a garlic bacon for lardons

rexster

I've done both over the years. I like the fact that the cure can get into the skinned bellies better than ones with skins but to tell the truth, after smoking I couldn't tell the difference. The skin is (for me) a little easier to take off after smoking than before curing. The order I received from my butcher the other day was messed up and they had skins on. I took them off before applying the cure and they're in my refrigerator now for another 6 days or so before smoking
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

destrouk

IVE DONE BACON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nitrate free also !!!!

here is a link to my pics mate if you cant see the text ill pm you the brine I used

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151607019075298.864016.823900297&type=3&l=6708bfb882