Hello guys

Started by amigo smoker, April 14, 2012, 07:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

First of i would like to say hello to 1 and all, ive been quickly loking through some smoking forums to join and this one seems the better

Ive just got a smoker ( charcoal ) but as yet do not have a clue as to how to use it.

So im going to keep looking through the site and im sure i can pick up some good info along the way, just be prepared for alot of questions lol

All the best everyone

Mat

amigo smoker

Oh ive just noticed this is a bradley forum, i dont yet have a bradley i have a different make,as i said it was given to me

hope its still ok for me to post on here

mat

Keymaster

Welcome aboard Mat, Theirs plenty of people here that don't have a Bradley smoker, You'll have one soon ;) What do you plan on smoking first? Make sure and get some pictures so we can see your new smokin Rig.

muebe

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of smoker you got?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum, most here don't mind what smoker you have, we will enjoy having you here and here are a few threads that may be of some help to you...

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=766#post766

http://www.susanminor.org/

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

amigo smoker

Thanks guys i was worried it was for bradley owners only

At the moment i have a pro q amigo, it has an extra stack as well.

Im hopefully going to smoke any thing i can lay my hands on, i made a small smoker last year that i just sit on charcoal out side and i have smoked fish , garlic, chilli, peppers sausages etc, the garlic is lovely and we get through lots of it

Im also a very keen sea fisherman so i have a steady supply of fish that i smoke, but as i said the smoker i have is tiny just big enough for 3-4 mackerel and i feel its time now to move up and start trying bigger meats, and i love cooking to i always make curries from around the world and also a few of my own, i have a few curry sauces that i have made and i think will be great on chicken or turkey done in a smoker, so will be giving them ago soon.

But i still have a few things to clear up before i start smoking, like im not sure what sort of coal i should be using? and techniques etc

mat

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. Remember, all we ask is that you post pics. I need pics cause reading to many words and trying to visualize what you are talking about makes the words look like jdjrsjxknrbaouwygebtndlynwoxidbekdocuebtmsocucrcqvwcyusoansheavlpitshd ;D
Here ya go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

amigo smoker

Will certainly have some pictures to put up once i start, just looking through the one on here is making my mouth water  :)

Going out tomorrow to buy some chickens to try so hopefully i will have some good tasting meat and some pics very soon

Thanks guys

squirtthecat

Welcome to the fold!     There is a 'Non Bradley Equipment' section of the forum that we post our  - well - Non-Bradley cooks in.

muebe

Amigo appears your smoker is very similar in design to a WSM(weber smokey mountain).

There are many forum members that have experience with that cooker so you should get some great help once you get started.

There is a learning curve but once you conquer that then the rest is easy. The key to that smoker is learning "air control". Controlling the air with the air shutters is the way to control temps and allow for long smokes.

Also how you place the coals has an affect on how it will perform.

You can add a digital air controller that will allow you to set a temp and the controller uses a fan to control the amount of air to the coals thus controlling temp. Some old school folks might consider it cheating but it is helpful when you don't have time to baby sit the smoker.

You can use standard charcoal and then add a chunk or two of say hickory for example. Or you can use lump charcoal that gives off more of a wood flavor and smoke.

I can tell you that some of the best smoked food I have seen has come from a WSM so you are in for a treat ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SiFumar

Welcome!  Only problem I can see with you joining this forum is....you will see how much fun and addicting the Bradley smoker is...and you got to add one to the one you have!  Especially when you see all the smoked fish they do here!  In the mean time enjoy your smoker, ask questions and enjoy the food!

amigo smoker

So whats the difference between the 1 i have and a bradley, im sure there are alot of differences but does it cook diferently

amigo smoker

ok i have just been looking at the bradleys on the net and its obvious the difference lol

With the bradley original, is it electric, and if so do you just put how hot you want it on the lcd and away you go.

mat

dman4505

The Original Bradley or OBS as it's affectionately called is electric it has a slider control below the door to adjust the temp. Welcome and don't worry that you don't have a Bradley......yet. We welcome all who have a love of smoked foods.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Smoker John

Welcome to the boards Amigo
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712