Would someone look at these pix of red and brown results, what happened?

Started by mptimm, April 14, 2012, 02:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mptimm

I've been smoking sausage for about 6 years with generally great results.  This weekend a buddy bought a new smoker and we're using it for the first time.  We started with pepper sticks and the sticks that came out of the smoker my old smoker had the expected nice red coloring.  Those that came out of the new smoker are more of a brown color and distinctly different flavor.  We're just finishing Kielbosa and the exact same thing is happening.

the old smoker is the larger variety, propane, no thermostat and top/side vents (bought at gander mountain).  The new smoker looks like a mini-fridge, electric heat and thermostat, with only one small vent on the top.  I would attach pix but I can't figure out how to do it. 

Quarlow

The easiest way to post pics is to save them to photobucket and the paste the image code into your post on here.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

crackin

I will take a stab in the dark.  Assuming your new "fridge" smoker is a Bradley, it does not burn the wood pucks hot enough to create the reaction that turns the meat red.  That only occurs in other smokers that torch the wood chips.  The Bradley was designed not to do this, as not to impose unwanted bitter / acrid smoke flavors to the meat, but as a result, no red smoked meat  / smoke ring.  Nothing to worry about.  Taste should be the same or better than your "other" smoker.