1st Time Making Brisket

Started by FireMedic2110, April 14, 2012, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireMedic2110

Hello everyone. I purchased my Smoker 2 weeks ago and have been on a smoking marathon. I have made ribs twice sausage,wings and pork shoulder all with great success. I've been boasting a little to family and friends how good everything is but I'm a little nervous I'm having whole family down next Sunday and they requested Brisket. From what I have read here on all the posts brisket can be a little tricky, so I'm looking for some advise on cook temp, IT and i would like to cook the brisket all the way in the smoker so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ka Honu

Trim, season, and smoke/cook at 225oF to an IT of 185oF and you'll be fine.  Make sure you allow for enough time - we guess 1.5 hours per pound but it can go down to one or up to over two (depending on meat grade and some other magic stuff - like the mood the cow was in when it last remembered to be in a mood).  FTC at the end for a couple of hours can't hurt.

mikecorn.1

Ditto. I had a 10 lb take right at 10 hours. 225 steady the whole time @ 195F IT. It was a select grade. Plan for more time just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

FireMedic2110

Sounds good. I have never tried the FTC how long can you go or i guess how hot will the brisket stay doing that? I bought a 11lb brisket seems like there could be a big difference in cook time we are eating about 6pm dont want to start to early and then be done way to soon.

mikecorn.1

Wrapped up in double layer or heavy duty foil and four towels stuffed into a cooler, I've kept ribs piping hot for 4 to 5 hours. Hot enough that you still couldnt handle them with bare hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

The biggest (to my mind) issue with smoking brisket and pork butt/shoulder is that you don't know when it will be done until it is.  Your planning process has to be flexible to accommodate either extreme.  If it isn't, Murphy will (more often than not) send you the one that takes 20 hours instead of 10 and then you're screwed.  The good news is that both brisket and pork butt/shoulder are just as good (sometimes better) after sealed refrigeration (or even freezing) and reheating as they are fresh out of FTC.  If you absolutely have to serve at 6 PM on a given day, make it a day or so before and thaw/reheat/serve as desired.

Even better, make several at a time and freeze them so you don't have to fire up every time you want brisket or pulled pork.  I usually have several 3-pound portions of both in my freezer which makes my life much easier when SWMBO or I want some of either or we have to come up with a quick meal for guests.  If the issue is the presentation to your diners as you take it out of the smoker (and we all like to show off), go for something more predictable (e.g., chicken, turkey, ribs, meat loaf/fatty, etc.).

TedEbear

Quote from: FireMedic2110 on April 14, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
Sounds good. I have never tried the FTC how long can you go or i guess how hot will the brisket stay doing that? I bought a 11lb brisket seems like there could be a big difference in cook time we are eating about 6pm dont want to start to early and then be done way to soon.

It's better to have it done a bit early than late.  On my first brisket I did the FTC for 3 hours to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat and then put it back in the fridge until the next day before slicing.  I reheated it in the foil with about 1 cup of apple juice in the oven at 350*F for two hours and then sliced it.  I personally think a reheated brisket tastes better than one that was just cooked.

Habanero Smoker

Reheating brisket you can also use low sodium beef broth, or even chicken or vegetable broth if you don't want to add the flavor of apple cider to your brisket.

An unconventional way to reheat smoked brisket is:

Onion Braised Brisket

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Here is one man's opinion on Texas Style Brisket.

I usually smoke three briskets at a time.  A single brisket works the same way, only the time is lowered to 14 -18 hours.

Start off with something like this and then make it your own by tweaking to your taste.

There is a lot of reading below along with some advice and comments from sage members of the board in the comments.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Brisket Pachanga
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?532-Brisket-Pachanga

Mustard Slather on Brisket and other Meats
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0

I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?775-I-Prefer-to-Smoke-Totally-Naked&p=1176#post1176

To Mop or Not to Mop – That is the Question
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14240.0

Calling All Mop Recipes
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14446.0

So your brisket doesn't fit - solution here
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?770-Brisket-Too-Large&p=1170#post1170

How do you make burnt ends?
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14065.0

Habanero Smoker

Hi Pachanga;

Good to see you posting. You reminded me that I have to get a few more of you posts moved over to the recipe site.

The Brisket - Burnt Ends is also on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kahunas

I like to smoke mine at 225 to an IT of 160 F then give it the ole "Texas Crutch". Wrap it in an oven bag (I buy a box of them at the local food service supplier) and/or tin foil with a about a quarter beer poured in. I like the oven bags better since they won't tear a hole in them as easily. Then in the smoker until it gets to an IT of 190 to 195. Then TC, already got the F part taken care off. Never had a bad one when I did this. Alway super moist and tender.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

FireMedic2110

Thanks for all the tips I will let you guys know how it goes!

DjSaneR

You can't go wrong with Pachanga's advice.  The 1st time I asked this question he chimed in with his mustard slathered recipe. I've tried many different methods since, however, I've always gone back to Pachanga's as the winner.

Good luck and post pics!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Pachanga

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 16, 2012, 01:00:51 PM
Hi Pachanga;

Good to see you posting. You reminded me that I have to get a few more of you posts moved over to the recipe site. 

The Brisket - Burnt Ends is also on the recipe site.

Thanks Habanero and thank for all the editing work you do on the recipe site.  I have seen first hand the great efforts and time spent on producing the final products.  Kudos

QuotePosted by: DjSaneR
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:36:50 pm »

You can't go wrong with Pachanga's advice.  The 1st time I asked this question he chimed in with his mustard slathered recipe. I've tried many different methods since, however, I've always gone back to Pachanga's as the winner.

Good luck and post pics!

And thanks DjSaneR.

The mustard slather has stood the test of time for me.

I continue to experiment with over 300 briskets under my belt in the Bradley;  I always go back to the slather as the base moist coating.  I like to call it a mop reduction.  It keeps the door closed by protecting the meat during the first several hours, does its magic, firms up and lets me mop to fine tune the end stages when opening the door is not as big an issue.  I use a light slather on ribs and a heavy slather on shoulders and butts.  It has always improved and accentuated the bark.  As I state in my posts, I believe the bark is the perfect condiment for Texas Style barbeque and it is the hallmark of this regional approach.

I reviewed Mustard Slather on Brisket and other Meats (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0) as well as my other posts above; they still work for me.

I am happy to hear the slather is still in your repertoire and you feel the same as me.  I'll stick with it until someone shows this old dog a better trick.

Pachanga