Deciding what to buy

Started by Kenny, June 04, 2004, 02:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I am going to buy a Bradley smoker but I am having trouble deciding the model. Are there any differences between the stainless and the original besides looks?

Also I have a shop I am going to set my smoker up in. Is it possible to vent the smoke outside using stovepipe or the like? I realize some smoke will get in my shop mainly when checking it. I have plenty of ventilation so that is not a problem. Thanks

Fuzzybear

Welcome Kenny!

Most of us here have the "black" model...a few with the "stainless" - there's a thread around here somewhere that addresses that very question......I'm not sure where it is but if "Olds" reads this, he'll give you a good read for the stainless model.  I was cheap and went for black but would have preferred stainless - I believe the interior is stainless versus aluminum in the black model..they both do the job well....hang for a bit and see what hit's your post.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

whitetailfan

Got the black model as well here, since buying the Bradley was a stretch on the ole wallet to start with, I could not justify the stainless.  As Fuzzy said, would have preferred it, but at the time the $100 wasn't in the couch cushions[;)]

Chez did some research into it, and I think the only difference (other than the obvious) is that the insides may be done in stainless, and the black is aluminum.  That said, since we all keep the insides of our smokers as black as the outsides, I don't think that is important.

Personally...I would chalk the decision up to two factors
1)If you can afford it and want the stainless for asthetics, I would go for it because it is going to last you a long time and you should be happy and the $100 diff is going to be pennies a month for as long as you own it.
2)Where are you going to store it?  I do not have the room in my garage to store my Bradley, so I keep mine on the deck with a barbecue cover on it.  While is has been good so far, I have not yet had it over winter outside either.  Like I say it is standing up well with a cover, but if I had to do it over again and knew it was going to be outside all the time, I may have "found" the extra cash...

No matter what, make up your mind and get smokin buddy[:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Kenny

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kenny</i>
<br />I am going to buy a Bradley smoker but I am having trouble deciding the model. Are there any differences between the stainless and the original besides looks?

Also I have a shop I am going to set my smoker up in. Is it possible to vent the smoke outside using stovepipe or the like? I realize some smoke will get in my shop mainly when checking it. I have plenty of ventilation so that is not a problem. Thanks

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b>Thanks for the info. Any advice on piping the vent outside.</b>

Bassman

Welcome Kenny,
I also have the black one, I think WhiteTail summed it up reall nice.
As far as the venting,I think there is a thread with pics on this board somewhere about that. I think it was posted by Olds.If you do a little searching you might be able to find out more. If I remember correctly he had a temp control problem from doing that.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

ChefJeff

Welcome Kenny, I too have the black,I keep it outside on a screen porch with a cover(Bradley)No Problems with cold weather.If you vent the smoke be aware that there is a certain amount of moisture in it and it could build up and run back down into the vent.That said give it a try and smoke on.[^][^]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Oldman

Welcome to this board. You going to love posting here. I have found this a great place for the smoking crowd.

Next, I have the SS model. What has been posted here about it is correct.  I like the SS model as my background (years ago) was in the resturant business.  However, if you take care of things as well as I do then the Standard model is all you really need.  As far as the end result I cannot see where the SS smokes any better than the standard.

So it is up to you, your budget, and how well you are going to take care of it.

Now what is IMPORTANT is where you purchase this from. I'm not going to get into a long story here. However, I deal with Goverment and Commercial contracts. I can tell you there is nothing worse than a song, a dance and then a broken promise.  You want to save yourself some grief than there is only one place on the net to purchase this unit from.

Chez ole boy's place.  http://www.chezbubba.com/cart/index.html He ships when he says he will. He ships what he say he will. It arrives when he says it will. He gives a lifetime discount on the pucks (10%) if you purchase a unit from him. He gives at no charge a free pack of pucks with the unit. Hell other places don't even tell you there are no pucks included. In the world of the net it just does not get any better than this!

Next make sure to get those Bubba pucks. $15.00 bucks; they well worth it.

Again welcome to this place.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />As far as the end result I cannot see where the SS smokes any better than the standard.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Olds, you couldn't have made a more true statement. I could have either, I have a black one. It cooks up some pretty impressive stuff!

That being said, the stainless is impressive looking, and if that is a priority for you, that's what you need. There is one area where the stainless will out-perform the black one. If you live in the south, where temps are usually high most of the year, it will reflect the heat as opposed to absorbing it.

This would be especially magnified if you were wanting to cold smoke. I live in northern Indiana, I only have to deal with those kind of temps a couple months of the year.

Basically, it's a personal preference thing, either one will cook you up some great Q!

Thanks for joining Kenny, hope we've helped.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kenny

Thanks again for the info. I think I will go with the Original and save the $100 for pucks.

Chez Bubba

If you order from us you save $110.00 for pucks![;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?