Custom Stand/Cart

Started by zhuskers1, April 18, 2012, 07:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhuskers1

I modified a Sear's Craftsman workstation.  It sells for around $34.  Shortened the legs and reduced the width.

I would post a pic...but can not figure out how to do it.

dubob

I used a little different setup so I can use my setup outside and store it inside.  I started with a heavy duty commercial utility cart from Sam's Club at $59.98.  You can see it here: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=141872.

Here it is at home.

I built a deck to fit on top and hold it in place with a couple of 2X4 sections attached to the underside of the deck.

The deck sits on top of the top shelf.

Supplies and accessories go on the bottom 2 shelves.

The deck holds the BDS and the PID.

All the power cords are connected to an extension cord with a 3 receptacle head on one end on the back side.

When done using, I roll it back into the garage for storage.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

GusRobin

good set up. You may want to attach the bradley to the shelf. Otherwise one good bump when you are moving the cart and it is on the ground. I used an "L" bracket and screwed it into the screw holes on the back and the wood shelf.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Nice setup. It is similar to mine. I also purchase a cart from Sam's; but one shelf was a basket self. One suggestion, you may want to place some type of support underneath the plywood, or over time it will begin to sag. Maybe a piece of wood at the center point. If the smoker is not level, you may experience grease running along the bottom of the drip pan (V-Tray) and dripping of the bisquette burner or down the side wall.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Ditto on the putting something to keep the smoker in place. I did the same thing to mine. I have a similar set up that I can roll around also. The small vibrations of rolling it around can cause it to fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Fubs

I was looking at the same cart at Sam's Club.  I had one of the guys cut the safety cables so I could bring the cart down and he told me they had the Stainless Table with shelf in the return area for the same price.  Went with the Stainless table, gives a nice work area next to the smoker.  One thing you could try with the cart if you don't want the wood, flip the top shelf over so that the top surface is what used to be the bottom of the "basket" area of the shelf.    Here's a picture of my setup from this past weekend's maiden voyage.

:-\  Ok Can't get the image to show from Google+ ... any suggestions?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Fubs;

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not that familiar with Google +; I've just add plus to my google account. Others on this forum have had problems posting from Google. I believe that Google only allows people with a Google account to view you albums. I know there is a way to share your album photos with people without an account, but that is only through email. The email generated includes a code key so that people without an account can view you album.

As for the stainless steel table; I picked up one in January. Getting one for the same price as the cart is a great deal. Just note that it is made from a lower grade of stainless steel, so wipe up spilt salts and acidic foods in a timely manner or it will pit. If you want to make the table more sturdy, and add some storage space; you can order a second shelf from the manufacturer. It cost $20, but I also had to pay and additional $20 for shipping and handling.

For the three shelf cart, those of use that have them generally assemble the cart so the basket is located at the lower level. Also the connectors on the shelves that slide over the tubing are tapered and will not work if you turn the self over. The weaving of the shelf is so wide that for the OBS, the rear legs will fall through, and the front feet will deteriorate over time. So you need something like plywood to make a solid surface for the smoker to sit on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DASFREAK

You could also use a ratchet Strap to hold it to the cart.  ;)

http://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-ratchet-strap-with-s-hooks

sage03

Nice set up, good price, a few tweaks and its ready to go!!

dubob

Just to let everybody know, I'm still using this set-up and it still works just fine.  My last use was to make some goose breast and antelope roast pastrami.  DAMN, that stuff is good.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss