Rub Test

Started by PMillen, April 18, 2012, 08:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMillen

I love my OBS but neither my wife nor I can find a rub that we like.  I'm rather tired of testing rubs on complete meat cuts.  My plan is to treat individual country style ribs with a different rub on each one (or on two).  We can do a taste test and perhaps determine our
favorite(s).

What's the best way to mark the ribs so we can track its rub?  I guess I could mark them with toothpicks; one pick, two picks, three and so on, but there must be a better way.

BTW, is there a better method for evaluating rubs?
Paul
Grill 1:  Ubiquitous Weber Kettle
Grill 2:  Gasser
OBS w/Dual Probe Auber PID
Cookshack PG-500

Scotty Dog

Cut your ribs into sections.  Three ribs, Four ribs.......  Or invite me over and I can help with the tasting.

Habanero Smoker

That is a good way to test rubs on pork; or Scotty's way. When I am smoking the same cuts at the same time and I'm doing something different with each cut, I will mark them with toothpicks. Such as 0 toothpick for rub A, 1 toothpick for rub B, 2 toothpicks for rub C etc. Make sure you right it down, it is easy to forget what number of toothpicks identifies which rub.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shasta bob

Instead of poking the meat with a toothpick. I suggest try the silicone rubber bands and mark your ribs with them. Just my 2 cents.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

PMillen

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'll try to find some silicone bands.  If I can't, I guess I'll poke 'em.
Paul
Grill 1:  Ubiquitous Weber Kettle
Grill 2:  Gasser
OBS w/Dual Probe Auber PID
Cookshack PG-500

Habanero Smoker

You may find the toothpicks a lot easier to apply and remove. It's not going to have any significant effect on the outcome of the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

slowpoke

Just a thought,I make my ribs only two ways and at the same time. One is wet and one is dry rub(15 spice).It makes it easy to tell.LOL
One full rack of each,done 221.If I did want to mark my ribs,steak markers would be my choice.Have fun trying all them sauces.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.