newbies first smoke

Started by amatasjr, April 19, 2012, 09:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatasjr

Alright, so i have family coming over this saturday to be the guinea pigs for my first smoke, and also to announce my wife is pregnant. lol. I'd like to do some pulled pork sliders and some baby backs.  I figure I can start the pork tonight(shoulder?), no butt, right?  I'm having trouble with some of the smoking terms/techniques.  I copied this statement from another thread to use as an example.  "Trying for 3 hours smoke at 225 F................ 2 hours foil with spalsh of apple juice ........... 1 hour naked... no foil, no sauce.. maybe a spritz of oil & apple juice".  does this mean that i am only smoking for 3 hours, then turning off the smoke generator and just allowing the heater to cook the ribs?  Also, how long should the pork cook/smoke?  I'd like to cook it either tonight or tomorrow.  How do i keep it ready for saturday around 4pm? crock pot? thanks!!

Ka Honu

Your cut & paste recipe is for ribs and yes, you're correct.  After the 3 hours of smoke, you're pretty much using the Bradley as an oven.  Full instructions with pictures here.

For pork butt in a Bradley, you'll want fours hours of smoke and then continue at a cabinet temp of 225oF until the IT (internal temperature) of the butt reaches 200oF.  Then FTC - wrap in Foil with a splash of liquid (many use apple juice), wrap that in a Towel, and put in a room temp Cooler or microwave (no power) for a few hours before pulling.  Generally it takes about 1.5 hours per pound but can go much less or more.  Make it a day ahead and refrigerate.  Reheat to serve in the crockpot on "Warm" and you'll be a hero.

dman4505

Ka Honu has ya hooked up
Good luck this weekend and be prepared to be assigned resident cook for all family outings.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

amatasjr

You're the king, Ka Honu!  Thanks again!  Another question, with the pork butt, say i have a 7lb butt, is that 4 hours of smoke than roughly 3 hours of FTC.  Or is it actually 4 hours of smoke and 7+ hours of FTC to get to the 1.5 hr/lb?  Also, read some great reviews about "Jans rub".  Good stuff?  Do you reccommend i use it on ribs and the pulled pork?  When reheating the pork on "warm" in the crock pot on the day of, Do i need to add a little water or sauce?  Or, do i just put the pork in and let it do it's thing?  Thanks again, truly appreciate it!

Ka Honu

For the pork butt you want to try to keep your cabinet temp at 225o for four hours of smoke plus however much longer it takes to get to the 200o IT.  Then FTC for 2-3 hours.  The 1.5 hours per pound (to get the meat to the desired IT) is just a planning estimate.  Sometimes it's only an hour, sometimes 2 or more.  I did 2 eight-pounders yesterday and one was done in 10 hours while the other took closer to 14.

Jan's rub is excellent on most everything.  I'd use it on the ribs for sure but you might want to try something else for the pulled pork just for a change of pace (or vice versa since it works equally well on either).

You should have plenty of liquid (use an aluminum drip pan on the rack below the butt to catch drippings, defat, and add back in for FTC or when pulling).  If it seems too dry to you when you're ready to reheat, you can always add the liquid of your choice.  Again, many people use some apple juice here.  I generally try to serve it "moist but not wet" and offer a couple of sauce choices (vaunted vinegar, Starnes, Carolina mustard sauce, etc.) to let people add their own "finishing touch."

watchdog56

Welcome and congrats on the new addition(baby) and your new addiction(smoking) ;D

You will probably  take 10-14 hours on your butt. It is up to the butt to let you know when it is done. It will stall around 165 for a couple of hours. Don't worry and don't turn your temp up,this is when the fat and meat meld together to get your tenderness. Just let it do it's stuff. I feel very important to FTC for a couple of hours at least. This also brings juices back into the meat.

KyNola

Quote from: amatasjr on April 19, 2012, 10:32:01 AM
You're the king, Ka Honu!  Thanks again!  Another question, with the pork butt, say i have a 7lb butt, is that 4 hours of smoke than roughly 3 hours of FTC.  Or is it actually 4 hours of smoke and 7+ hours of FTC to get to the 1.5 hr/lb?  Also, read some great reviews about "Jans rub".  Good stuff?  Do you reccommend i use it on ribs and the pulled pork?  When reheating the pork on "warm" in the crock pot on the day of, Do i need to add a little water or sauce?  Or, do i just put the pork in and let it do it's thing?  Thanks again, truly appreciate it!
I'm trying to decipher your post.  Smoke the butt for 4 hours then it needs to continue for however how long it takes for the internal temp of the butt to get to somewhere between 190-200.  The FTC is used after the butt reaches the IT desired in order to keep the butt warm until you decide to pull the pork.

I'll yield to others about Jan's Rub seeing as how Jan is my wife and we developed that recipe. ;)

amatasjr

Thanks for all of the imput from everyone!  The butts are in now.  If they are done 10-14 hrs from now, can I FTC them over night? or should I FTC for a few hrs then refrigerate till morning?

KyNola

FTC for a few hours then refrigerate.

TedEbear

Quote from: amatasjr on April 20, 2012, 07:32:34 AMIf they are done 10-14 hrs from now, can I FTC them over night? or should I FTC for a few hrs then refrigerate till morning?

If it was me I would FTC for 2 hours or so, pull and then refrigerate.

4given

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

ghost9mm

Partner you have received some real good information...it will be nice to see a money shot when this done...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

amatasjr

ok, two 9lb butts have been cooking for 9 hrs.  IT is at 180.  I can't seem to get the BS any hotter than 209.  Is this normal?   I'm assuming the butts will just take longer to reach 200 at a cooking temp of 209?

Ka Honu

If you get bored, you can always transfer them to the oven (set at 225o) to finish.