Decided to do some butts

Started by frepar, April 17, 2012, 10:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frepar

One of my closest friends enlisted in the air force and got sent down to basic this mornin, so we did what any red blooded american would do..... throw a good ol fashioned hoot n nanny for his going away: meat, beer and guns (not in that order necessarily) ... and i was charged with the meat....and some of the beer and some of the guns, now that i think of it :)

there were quite a few people comin so i bought 32 lbs of pork and rubbed em down with a Gunpowder clone (new favorite rub)... party started at 1p on sat, so i fired up my pid'ed obs and my bros dbs, 2 butts in each (was  little worried about stackin 4 butts in the obs) at about 530 pm the night before... LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2nd element on my obs... it was up to 210 in suuuuch a short time.... we planned an all night smoke so i was up every 2 hrs to check, changed water and rotated blah blah... tried takin pics during the smoke, but it was dark and my flash on my phone would only nab the smoke.... no meat

but here they are the following morning at about 7am

and you cant start a "party day" without one of these babies:

when i took the first pic... i think we were sittin around 184 for the IT.... so i let her keep cookin untill 10ish and i pulled the butts at 194 IT...

here we are on the first one... startin to pull..

i was plannin on stickin the shredded meat in a huge commercial crockpot on super super low heat with bbq sauce... but after snitchin some tiny morself of heavenly goodness.... i opted to leave it the way it was and let people put the bbq sauce on as they deemed necessary....

but man.... ppl PLOWED through the pork....
this is the "overflow" crock pot... cuz the big commercial one couldnt hold it all....
i was lookin forward to leftovers.... guess that aint gonna happen

after clean up..... have to end a party night with one of these....

now i have to polish off about a gallon of baked beans.... "over inventoried" on those for sure!!

mikecorn.1

Those are some nice looking butts. Nice color you got on them. Congrats  :)
Mike

Wildcat

Must not have smoked the beans. Beans at my house that has a smokey flavor do not make it to the left over dish.

Nice looking butts!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

muebe

Nice job on the butts ;)

One time I built a fire like that at the lake we camp at every year. We got a visit a little later from the park ranger :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Nice job on the butts..I know they didn't last long....
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TMB

Nice set of butts!!   Now thats a send off   ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Smoker John

Looks like your food & party was a huge success, the butts look great.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

frepar

thanks for the encouraging words everybody!  i'm kind of "new" to the game of smoking...and i'm afraid to tell my friends, who salivate at the thought of me firing up the bradley, how easy it is.... for now i'll just let them think its one step above quantum physics on the difficulty scale

TMB

Quote from: frepar on April 18, 2012, 04:52:20 AM
thanks for the encouraging words everybody!  i'm kind of "new" to the game of smoking...and i'm afraid to tell my friends, who salivate at the thought of me firing up the bradley, how easy it is.... for now i'll just let them think its one step above quantum physics on the difficulty scale

It is  ;) ;)   ;D ;D ;D ;D     I tell Kimmie not to touch the Bradley, could hurt it if not handled just right    ;) ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!