When to use smoke pucks? Begining of cook or end? Or both?

Started by Jdawg50, April 21, 2012, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdawg50

I am doing a Brisket and 2 Boston Butts tomorrow AM.

Should I do 1 hour in the begining and 1 hour at the end? Or Should I do two hours in the begining or Two hours at the end?

Thanks!!!!!!

beefmann

i usually do 3 hours of smoke at the beginning  and nothing later on for  smoke, cook at a box tent of 225 and a it of 190 to 195 on the brisket and if your doing  pulled pork 190 - 200 and  check it with a folk see how easy it is to pull apart when  ready  pull it

Jdawg50

Thanks!

I have every type of puck they make. What would you recommend?

I was thinking I would put the Brisket on the top shelf then bottom two shelves would be Butts....

Thoughts?

I am planning on starting tomorrow at 6AM... Planning on serving at 5:30-6PM Should I start earlier?

Toker

Hi, welcome here we never apply smoke at the end because passed 140F internal temp, the meat does not absorb the smoker anymore. As far as the wood type, it is all your preference.

mikecorn.1

Pecan, mesquite ;D. Hey I'm Texan :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jdawg50;

Welcome to the forum.

That is an ambitious smoke/cook, and with that large load you will never get done in 12 hours. From my experience, you are looking at around 18 hours - plus. After applying the smoke you may need to move the butts, or the brisket, or one butt and brisket to the kitchen oven. Also if you can, monitor the brisket internal temperature, that may get done sooner; depending on what internal temperature you take the butts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tdwester

I like a little sweeter smoke then mikecorn.1 I prefer Apple or cherry.

TedEbear

Quote from: Jdawg50 on April 21, 2012, 09:10:30 PMThoughts?

I am planning on starting tomorrow at 6AM... Planning on serving at 5:30-6PM Should I start earlier?

Umm...you'd better plan on eating something else Sunday.  All that meat is gong to take WAY longer than 12 hours to cook. With just one butt it takes 1.5-2 hours per lb to reach an internal temp of 195*F and you'll have much more than that going all at once, which absorbs the heat. 

You're looking at 18-24 hours total cook time, not to mention any FTC (foil, towel, cooler) afterward to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat before slicing or pulling.

Jdawg50

Well,

I started @ 4:30 this AM.

Butts are at 141 right now.

Brisket is at 170

I am planning on pulling the brisket @ 11AM.  Letting it rest and then I will re-heat in the oven around 5PM.

Now you have me freaked out about the 2 butts. If I serve them at 6PM, that is 13.5 hours.

Any additional thoughts guys?

Thanks

Jdawg50

Oh, I forgot to mention I am doing 1 butt total (2 sides of one butt) 8lbs each. Not 2 full butts.

muebe

Quote from: Jdawg50 on April 22, 2012, 07:54:37 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention I am doing 1 butt total (2 sides of one butt) 8lbs each. Not 2 full butts.

I will be shocked if they are done by 6 p.m.

At 160F IT you will hit the dreaded stall and they will stay at that temp for a couple hours. You might want to move them to a 300F oven to speed things up.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

I prefer to heat meat at 120 for an hour then apply smoke at 130 degrees. Seems to stick better. Then I ramp up for finish. Works for me.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Jdawg50

12:22PM

tdwester

You may want to open the vent up more, the smoke gets stale if not ventilated.

Jdawg50

Just put the 2 butts in the oven at 350. Going to leave in there for 1.5 hours. Then back to the Bradley. 2:17PM right now.