Disney Fair style Turkey Legs

Started by viper125, April 22, 2012, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well started brining my Turkey legs Thursday and decided to let it go longer this time. So i Stretched it out to three days. But come Saturday stuff came up and today is just over 4 days. So going to pull them and wash real good and put in the smoker. Same recipe I've been using just a little longer. I thought of trying a new one. But believe it or not we don't have a fair legs recipe on the recipe site. So for any one interested in the Delicious morsels her is what I'm doing!

Disney Fair style Turkey legs

The brine:
2 cups tender quick salt
1 cups brown sugar
1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. black pepper
2 TBS. onion powder
2 TBS. garlic powder
1 TBS. Spanish Paprika
4 bay leaves
2 gallons water
6 turkey legs [totally submerged in brine]
Sweet paprika

Mix all brine ingredients together in a non reactive container. Put the turkey legs in the brine and place the container in the refrigerator. Let stand for at least 48 hours.Large turkey legs will require 3 full days to be fully brined and flavored. Smoking time at 225 degrees F will be about 6 1/2 hours

Remove legs from the brine, wash good and wipe them dry with paper towels. Rub the legs with a small amount of sweet paprika. I use Jan's Rub instead of Paprika. Put legs in smoker and set temperature for 225 degrees F. Smoke for at least five hours. FTC one to two hours and then enjoy. If freezing reheat in oven for a fresh tasting leg. But I love them cold too!

I use 3 hours of Hickory or your favorite wood.

amigo smoker

sounds lovely and im going to add it to the to do list

muebe

Viper have you ever had the real Disney legs?

Just wondering how this recipe compares to the real thing. I will actually be going there tomorrow and may get a leg. They are really good ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

Had a couple brought to me. I think they taste all full close. You be the Judge. Others have told me I'm real close. Been tweaking by memories so Id like to get a few more to compare. Maybe this year.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Well sounds like the recipe is a keeper then ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

LOL Daughter said she'd bring me some in June when she goes for my Birthday! LOL I do know they taste very good and no matter how many I make they disappear quickly! LOL
Inside setup.

viper125

Time to remove legs from brine. Wash real good and rub with Jans rub. Then warming a little.

Then resting waiting on smoker.

Into the smoker with 3 hours of Cherry at 225 degrees Done in a total 4.5 hours.

Magic moment is here.

Shushhh! Don't make to much noise. Bambi is tied up in her Face book games.

took out the first three and resting for a little while. Give the other three 1/2 hour more.

Whoops caught in the act. But honey I'm hungry ! So she makes me put it back.

Hmmm Plates ready, Turkey, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Mashed potato's and butter.

Look at that juice flowing! Moist and good.

I smell Food!

So much for my lazy day and dinner. I ended up eating two of them bad boys and the wife one. But I think our two poodles at at least one whole one between them. LOL  Hope you all enjoyed this i know we did since were all crashed and chilling out. Only change next time.
3 hour brine time
And soak at least 1 hour before smoking. I just washed and forgot my normal smoke. Made the skin a little more salty then I care for.
All in all a keeper for sure!

Inside setup.

ghost9mm

WOW Viper that money shot is killer for sure and it looks and sounds like you enjoyed the fruits of your labor, did the pups get any part of the turkey legs...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

Them pups get more then a little of every thing we eat! They eat their dog food but enjoy our food better. that one is Bambi or baby as I call her. She's a rescue dog as well as our other one snickers. She was almost dead when we got her and I was too. We both spent the last two and a half years keeping each other go. She now thinks im her daddy and doesn't like me away from her. She'll eat fruit veggys meat or any thing I eat. She even trys hot peppers even though i try to keep them from her. I'll bet between the two of them they ate 1 leg or more. LOL
Inside setup.

muebe

Legs look great Viper!

The meat color matches the ones at Disneyland ;)

mikecorn.1

Those look great. Thanks for the recipe. Gonna have to try it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

amigo smoker

yep agreed, thought they sounded good, but them pictures look awesome

good job mate

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Rckcrwlr

Thanks for the post...I am doing some this weekend.

amigo smoker

me to

got a couple mates coming over for the football, so gonna do a few of these

thanks for the info

mat