original v digital

Started by amigo smoker, April 22, 2012, 01:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

Hello guys

im soon to be getting my first ever bradley  :)

i know the original has not got the digital temp control ect, but my question is

am i better of getting the original with a pid or is the digital control accurate enough
is there any other advantage's to getting the digital i.e better build, better element etc

just wasnt sure if it was worth paying the extra for the dig if i was gonna replace the temp control

thanks all

TedEbear

If you are going to get a PID then get the original.  No sense in paying extra for the digital. They both use the same 500W element. 

amigo smoker

is a pid better than the system on the digital

and is there a pid that you suggest?

mat

beefmann

mat,

I own the original and have for over 6 years, also run it  with a  pid and a 900 watt element could not be happier... out of the 6 + years i wished i had a  larger unit.... it also has made plenty of food for a 50 person gathering considering all the other fixings ,  baked beans, corn on the cobb,  were done in crock pots

TedEbear

An Auber PID will control the temp to within a couple of degrees.  Some smoker diehards say that you don't need that kind of accuracy for general smoking such as pork butts, ribs or brisket.  That's all I ever smoke, except an occasional turkey.  I just like having the accuracy.

On which one to get, there are different ones depending on if you want a simple plug-n-play or a DIY that you install in a project box or the smoke generator box.  Not so sure you can do that with the new model, which has the temp control in the SG.

Auber Single Probe Controller

Auber Dual Probe Controller

Auber Single Probe PID Controller with SSR Output (this is the one I have)

On the last one the initial cost is around $45 but you still have to buy a thermocouple, SSR, possibly a project box if you're not going to install it in the SG, a heatsink and a few other things.  Total cost will run around $70-$80.  There are several how-to discussions on how to do it all.

mikecorn.1

If you really, really need or want a PID, go with the original. That said, I used mine for almost 3 years without any mods. Everything always Turned out great. I recently did the dual 500 and PID cause a buddy of mine gives me
venison and pork sausage he makes and I smoke it myself. I even did the small 2" fan which I'm not too impressed with.
Here is the link to the PID I got. 2 probe.  $185.00.
auber dual probe PID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

amigo smoker

thanks for the advice guys, you helped clear it up

mat

amigo smoker

My wife is going to buy me the equipment to make sausages

so i have decided to get the original with a pid, as you know im gonna want to smoke them

mat