Building a Boeing 737-800 simulator

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

Ok, we are up and running again. Got the hardboard hauled home yesterday thanks to my friend Gene so now I hope to have the skin on the lower part installed by end of day tomorrow. The progress has slowed down a bit due to work related travel as well as spending some quality time with family.
Maybe I will let the first officer sheet his side of the flght deck? :)

Flyboyandre

Bavind

Amazing I'm not sure if i'd even know where to start on a build like that.

Flyboyandre

Base layer of skin applied. Now i will let the wood settle and glue dry before applying the finish layer. Now I'm going to grab a cold one and rest for a bit.
I still have to plug along with the window frames.
Feels like i didn't make the progress I had hoped for as traffic and curiosity slowed me down. Wish I could keep the garage door closed to keep out of the sightlines but space is premium until I get the old simpit torn down.

mikecorn.1

That's coming along real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Flyboyandre

Thanks Mike. It has been a challenging project so far. Good thing is that people don't ask me what the "thing" in my garage is anymore. They just can't figure out what the hell I'm going to do with it :)

Flyboyandre

"Excuse me, this may sound like a stupid question but are you building an Igloo?". I looked at her and said nothing but thought to myself "what the f$&@ is wrong with people?". An Igloo????? Really?????? Do you really want to go there??????? I contained myself and shook my head as she moved on, muttering to myself that she would be one of those people who didn't deserve a closer look or an answer. The progress may not be that noticeable but I did finish the skinning of the entire captain's side, including finish sanding and nails punched down. Actually, I was so excited that I had to pull out the filler and get a rough coat onto the rear portion of the captain's side. Tomorrow I will ensure that the first officer gets the same treatment. The roof will have to wait until this weekend.

squirtthecat

You need to hang a big poly tarp off of your front gutters!

TedEbear

Quote from: Flyboyandre on May 31, 2012, 09:58:37 PM
"Excuse me, this may sound like a stupid question but are you building an Igloo?".

It'll all make more sense to them after you get that 93 ft wingspan added on.

Keymaster

Lookin good!! If I had more time I would drive by your house and get out and ask you if you were making a big one of these :D :D

Flyboyandre

Quote from: Keymaster on June 01, 2012, 05:25:41 AM
Lookin good!! If I had more time I would drive by your house and get out and ask you if you were making a big one of these :D :D

That's funny Aaron! What do you mean if you had time? You just have to make time :)

Flyboyandre

Alright, we made it to 5 weeks. I feel like a cripple every night going to bed after working 2 full time jobs (one of them pays me and the other one takes money away).

Where does the build sit right now?

Sheeting done, surface sanded and nails punched on the entire lower part of the flight deck.
8 cartridges of glue used.
About 5200 finish nails have gone into the shell.
About 800 screws on the framework.
4 sheets of plywood.
6 sheets of hardboard.
3 #2 drill bits shattered.
One orbital sander went to heaven.
One jigsaw landed in the street because it couldn't cut straight (true!).
One of the hand drills only works when it wants to now. May end up in a street near you soon!
3 Jigsaw blades.
One pair of tennis shoes are now leaking as a nail decided to poke through my sole.
One gallon of drywall compound so far.
And the list goes on............

Today's question from a random bypasser..... Is it flyable now? Serious? When will these stupid questions end? I've considered putting up a big dry erase board and list the top 10 stupid questions for everyone to see. Yes? No?

Anyway, as you can see on the first picture I really have to consider demolition work on the old simpit sooner rather than later. It kills me to tear it down but I'm afraid I have no option :)

Tomorrow I will fire up the smoker as well for some well deserved Pastrami. Was considering cranking out some summer sausage but all my sausage supplies seem to be near the cockpit.

Wanna see pictures? Here we gooooooooooooo..

Leadfoote

TedEbear

Quote from: Flyboyandre on June 01, 2012, 09:40:22 PMI've considered putting up a big dry erase board and list the top 10 stupid questions for everyone to see. Yes? No?

I vote yes.  You're doing something of interest to the neighborhood and the board would add a little entertainment to it all.    ;D

mikecorn.1

I also vote yes!! ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike