Bring on tomorrow

Started by amigo smoker, April 24, 2012, 04:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

Well tomorrow it looks like there is a gap in the weather so im gonna fire up the pro q and get some pulled pork on the go

just been up to tesco ( local supermarket) not sure you have them across the pond but they sell everything, like a walmart.
managed to pick up a few bottles of sauces, i got budweiser bbq sauce, budweiser honey  bbq sauce and jack daniels smokey sauce. plus ive already made a rub

cant wait to have a go

watch this space for pics

amigo smoker

Actually i have a quick question

i have a couple bags of plain bbq charcoal, but i also have a 12kg bag of restaurant charcoal

which would you say was the better to use, not sure if the restaurant stuff will give of less chemically taste but i dont have a clue really as its my first attempt

mat

joeduke

Hi, Pork is great with the following sauce
Mix Sweet Chilli sauce, soy sauce, honey in a small pot and warn on the Cooker
you can pour it over the Pork and use it as a dip.. dont for get a few pints of Guinness to wash it all down.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: amigo smoker on April 24, 2012, 04:48:03 AM
Actually i have a quick question

i have a couple bags of plain bbq charcoal, but i also have a 12kg bag of restaurant charcoal

which would you say was the better to use, not sure if the restaurant stuff will give of less chemically taste but i dont have a clue really as its my first attempt

mat
Dont know what you mean by restaurant charcoal. If its  anything like the homemade charcoal made from dried mesquite or pecan wood from here in Texas, then IMHO gives a lot more flavor to the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

I do not know anything about "restaurant charcoal". My guess would be that if there is a difference, it is probably designed to burn hotter and last longer. I simply use Kingsford for my grills.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

amigo smoker

ive just been looking on the net and apparently u guys in the states have a far wider variety of charcoal

we only have lump wood ,,, briquettes ,, and restaurant grade there the standard ones, the only other one i can find is coconut husk

but apparently the lump wood variety is fine so im gonna use that

cheers

mat

Mani

Hi Amigo,

I use Restaurant Lumpwood regularly...  It's basically the same as standard lumpwood, but not broken down into smaller pieces.

Incidentally, what do you use for your pulled Pork?  Shoulder?  I started using collar, which I get pretty easily up here and is dirt cheap...

amigo smoker

Quote from: Mani on April 25, 2012, 05:54:36 AM
Hi Amigo,

I use Restaurant Lumpwood regularly...  It's basically the same as standard lumpwood, but not broken down into smaller pieces.

Incidentally, what do you use for your pulled Pork?  Shoulder?  I started using collar, which I get pretty easily up here and is dirt cheap...

yes mate this time im using shoulder, i got nearly 8lb for a fiver from a farmer so not to dear

will try the collar next, what sort of price is it compared to shoulder

also getting some restaurant charcoal tomorrow

mat

Mani

I tend to find the collar is £2 cheaper per kilo than shoulder...  You will need to do a couple of them for an equivalent weight, however, if you are getting a shoulder for £5, stick with that...  Seems a bargain.

I normally get a Gloucester Old Spot shoulder for £16 and thought that was a bargain...

amigo smoker

to be honest, im in with the farmer

i do alot of building work for him for a good price, so its his way of leveling it out
but i wont goto him all the time as i dont want him to think im taking the pi55

i will have a look in the local butchers and see if they can get or have got collar

cheers

mat