Why Use a Rub?

Started by PMillen, April 24, 2012, 09:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMillen

Rather than test a series of rubs, as described in this thread, http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=28111.0, I decided to do some country style ribs without a rub.  I used a simple 3-2-1 method at 225°.

They were darn good.  So that makes me wonder, "What is the rub supposed to add?  Why use one at all?"

What's your opinion?
Paul
Grill 1:  Ubiquitous Weber Kettle
Grill 2:  Gasser
OBS w/Dual Probe Auber PID
Cookshack PG-500

mikecorn.1

That's the beauty of it. You don't have to use a rub. :). Do what works for you. Some use mustard as a glue, others use other things. Some foil and some
Don't. Some sprits the meat some don't.
Personally, I like to use a rub but I don't go heavy with it. I also will use CYM as a glue. :).
Oh, rub adds flavored crust. What did you season yours with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kahunas

That's the beauty of it. You can do what ever makes you feel happy. I make my own rub and like a medium to heavy coating. My grand daughter likes them plain so I make a rack plain for her. The brother inlaw likes heat so I use my rub and I kick it up a notch with red pepper for his rack.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Wildcat

Personally I like the added flavors on birds and pork but prefer a simple salt & pepper (sometimes adding garlic & onion) to beef.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

PMillen

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on April 24, 2012, 09:10:00 AM
What did you season yours with.

Didn't season at all.

We're not opposed to added flavors—from jazzed-up burgers to salt and pepper on eggs.  It's just that we haven't hit on the rub that suits us.  We've been trying commercial products but I'm thinking that we need to mix our own.  Jan's rub gets great reviews and Beefman sent me a recipe a few weeks ago.  Those two are on our list.
Paul
Cookshack PG-500

Kahunas

If you like something more on the savory side you might try some Arthur Bryant's rubs. That is what I based my rub off of.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

slowpoke

It doesn't matter what you put on your meat,just remember not to over power the flavor of the meat you are smoking,curing,cooking,ect.Just me rambling
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

TMB

I rub but only to help the flavor not over power it.  My comp ribs and pulled pork use very little rub but just enough to add that kick to it.   Remember I use infrared, so cooking that way does not dry meat so the fat has a better chance to flavor the meat vs a regular smoker 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: PMillen on April 24, 2012, 11:59:00 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on April 24, 2012, 09:10:00 AM
What did you season yours with.

Didn't season at all.

We're not opposed to added flavors—from jazzed-up burgers to salt and pepper on eggs.  It's just that we haven't hit on the rub that suits us.  We've been trying commercial products but I'm thinking that we need to mix our own.  Jan's rub gets great reviews and Beefman sent me a recipe a few weeks ago.  Those two are on our list.
I hear ya :). Hard to find something you really like. I've been real happy with the Zacks products. My buddy gives me venison and pork sausage he makes with some zacks sausage seasonings and its awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

PMillen

Quote from: slowpoke on April 24, 2012, 01:50:08 PM
It doesn't matter what you put on your meat,just remember not to over power the flavor of the meat you are smoking,curing,cooking,ect.Just me rambling

Pretty good advice for a ramble.  I think that using too much rub has contributed to our inability to find one that we like.  The photos we see in some of the posts appear to have rather heavy coats.

Ramble on!
Paul
Cookshack PG-500

slowpoke

When I do a turkey,I coat it quite well all over.When it's done,I remove all the skin and throw it away.I taste turkey and some spice all the way through the meat and a nice smoke flavor too.I  Me  I'm the one who desides how much or little I put on,to my taste.Thats why WE here do what we do.WE know what goes into or meat.Don't be shy,experiment, explore, but be safe.Rambling again.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

viper125

Can't say! I know I do mine because I like a more complexed spice flavor. Personally about the only food I don't salt and pepper is ice cream. But I like the jalapeno  pepper ice cream too! LOL Guess if you enjoy it with out no need to or even experiment. I like to get my own version of every thing. Then pretty much stick to it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.