Rubbed and ready

Started by amigo smoker, April 24, 2012, 01:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo smoker

went and picked up a nice butt/shoulder today from the local farmer

rubbed it up with a sweet smoked paprika and chilli rub, and its in the fridge ready for the smoker first thing

here it is

man i cant wait to get the beast cooked looks and smells lovely, and my first ever "proper" smoke

i just weighed it and it weighs in at 7.56lb, i dont have a clue how long but ive said dinner tomorrow maybe late  :) :)

will add some pics when its in the smoker

mat

amigo smoker

Also got a rack o ribs but forgot to take pics which i will get tomorrow

mikecorn.1

Quote from: amigo smoker on April 24, 2012, 01:51:02 PM
went and picked up a nice butt/shoulder today from the local farmer

rubbed it up with a sweet smoked paprika and chilli rub, and its in the fridge ready for the smoker first thing

here it is

man i cant wait to get the beast cooked looks and smells lovely, and my first ever "proper" smoke

i just weighed it and it weighs in at 7.56lb, i dont have a clue how long but ive said dinner tomorrow maybe late  :) :)

will add some pics when its in the smoker

mat
Nice. Plan on 1to 1.5 hrs per pound. I would start early and you can always FTC it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

amigo smoker

Thats good, i was thinking of 12hr cook

was going to start it about 5am and hopefully it will be done around 5pm, but i dont mind if its gonna be abit longer

Gonna put the ribs on about 10am so they should be ready for the kids when they leave school

thanks

mat

"goes of to find out what ftc means"   :)

amigo smoker

got it

foil tower cooler

how long will it keep a butt warm that way, would it stay warm for an hour or so

mat

TedEbear

Quote from: amigo smoker on April 24, 2012, 04:09:08 PMfoil tower cooler

how long will it keep a butt warm that way, would it stay warm for an hour or so

Foil, TOWEL, cooler.

I've done the FTC for 3 hours and the meat is still pretty hot.  I've heard of other people going 4-5 hours.

amigo smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on April 24, 2012, 08:38:03 PM
Quote from: amigo smoker on April 24, 2012, 04:09:08 PMfoil tower cooler

Foil, TOWEL, cooler.

I've done the FTC for 3 hours and the meat is still pretty hot.  I've heard of other people going 4-5 hours.

ah yeah sorry , i did mean to type towel

3hrs is a decent time, and its really useful to know  thanks

mat

fishrman

I did a 4.5 hour FTC this last weekend and lost only 5 degrees IT over that period.

Mani

Mat,

Do you have a temperature probe? Internal temperature seems to be more reliable than time.

There are some great wireless ones. I took the advice from here and got a maverick.

Also, I have FTC'd overnight and the pork was still great in the morning.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk