Original Bradley Smoket BTIS1

Started by curttate, June 05, 2004, 01:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curttate

Can wood chips be used instead of bisquettes? If chips cannot be used, the smoker is limited to Bradley bisquettes.[?]
Does smoker have a rod inside across top for hanging turkey or ham?[?]

Chez Bubba

Curt,

You're pretty much limited to using the Bradley bisquettes, as the design won't facilitate using chips. If you tried to use them, you'd have to open the door to place them on the burner plate & the heat loss would be tremendous, adding hours to your cook.

It's designed to be a smoker of convenience, automatically feeding in the bisquettes for you. When you break it down, the wood costs a shade over $1 an hour to smoke, very comparable to other smokers.

There aren't any rods inside, just racks. However, you could easily cut a rod to width to rest on the same protruding supports that the racks sit on. I think I would engineer the rod to use the rack as it's support, so that the weight is distributed evenly for something as heavy as a turkey or ham.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefJeff

If you want to use wood chips-you are not looking for the ease of the Bradley.The whole idea is not to have to constanly monitor the smokin.Set it up,come back when the time is up,and EAT!The price of the bisquits is small compared to the ease of use.[:0][:0][8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Oldman

Welcome Curttate to the best smoker forum on the net. You will love getting to know the folks here.

Well I'm not going to get into another long story. I don't know your background in smoking. However, I've been smok'in foods for 46 years now. Now if it is out there, I've owned, made it; I even made a water smoker that atomized the water. I've seen it all and done it all. This also included curing / smoking / hanging hams for a year when I was a boy with my grandfather. Not to mention making my own kielbasa over the years. If you ever made sauage from scatch then you know that there is nothing worse than a tarred tasting,  blown out casing, overly dry sauage do to having to maintain a heat level to insure the smoke flow.  

Ya smoking fish is a snap. I can do it on a gas grill with a bread pan for the wood chips. However, smoking delicate foods that require a constant temperature of 160 F is another matter. With the Bradley once the box is at temperature, if needed I can adjust its heating device to maintain that constant temperature. After 30 minutes of watching to make sure that the temperature is constant I then  place in the item in the Bradley and then start the smoking process. This opens so many more options than any other smokers out there.

For the average/ new back yard smoker the Bradley does one thing for him that no other smoker out there can .  It puts him in my 46 year class of smoking. This is not a Rag on myself; it is an example that of what a new smoker can expect if that person just follows the directions, listens to the folks here.

At $1.11 per hour to smoke it is on the cheap. The lack of worrying about flare ups-tarring, off gassing--bitter taste, juggling the smoke & heat factor puts the Bradley in a Pros class of results.

Just to touch on this smoke & heat factor a little more. The fact that the smoke generator is not the heating device opens up variables that other smoker' companies wish they had incorporated into their system.

Do a net search for resturant smokers and you will find that they utilize the Bradley approach. You will not find any direct smoke/heat devices being used in that industry. This is by design, not by accident.  

Ya there are smokers out there that use pellets, sawdust, wood chips, split logs and many cost less than the Bradley. However, the first time that smoker ruins a ham or prime rib, or it melts the cheese you wanted to smoke the cost of those smokers has just increased.

The real cost is your pride when you serve it at the table and all of eyes kind of go around after first bite. Then you take a bite and the bite, bites ya back.

An analogy to be made is this: There are two resturants that both server beef, potato, salad and have someone take your order and give you the food. One is called McDonald's the other is Ruth's Steak House.

If a person cannot smoke it in a Bradley with success then they need stay with BBQ over gas.

Opps I'm sorry I lied...this posting is somewhat long [:D]  Good luck in your decision, and again welcome to this place!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

curttate

You have convinced me that I should purchase the Bradley smoker, even though we are limited to using the bisquettes.  For hanging a turkey or ham , one reply I received suggested that a rod could be fabricated and be supported by one of the rack supports[:)].  Thanks for your reply.

curttate

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefJeff</i>
<br />If you want to use wood chips-you are not looking for the ease of the Bradley.The whole idea is not to have to constanly monitor the smokin.Set it up,come back when the time is up,and EAT!The price of the bisquits is small compared to the ease of use.[:0][:0][8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I am quite new at using the forum reply site so I might have sent you two replies.  Thanks for your comments.  Based on your reply and others I can clearly see the benefits of the Bradley smoker.  I am now convinced that I should purchase one.

curttate

Based on the real good information an suggestions thatI got from folks like you, I ordered the Bradley Smoker today.  I look forward to smoking some real good ribs and chicken.[:)]
I gota find out where to purchase the metal pucks so I won't waste any bisquettes when the cooking time is over.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by curttate</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Curt,

You're pretty much limited to using the Bradley bisquettes, as the design won't facilitate using chips. If you tried to use them, you'd have to open the door to place them on the burner plate & the heat loss would be tremendous, adding hours to your cook.

It's designed to be a smoker of convenience, automatically feeding in the bisquettes for you. When you break it down, the wood costs a shade over $1 an hour to smoke, very comparable to other smokers.

There aren't any rods inside, just racks. However, you could easily cut a rod to width to rest on the same protruding supports that the racks sit on. I think I would engineer the rod to use the rack as it's support, so that the weight is distributed evenly for something as heavy as a turkey or ham.

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?

curttate

Thanks for your comments.  I ordered the smoker today and I am looking forward to the ease of use.[:)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefJeff</i>
<br />If you want to use wood chips-you are not looking for the ease of the Bradley.The whole idea is not to have to constanly monitor the smokin.Set it up,come back when the time is up,and EAT!The price of the bisquits is small compared to the ease of use.[:0][:0][8D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by curttate</i>
<br />Based on the real good information an suggestions thatI got from folks like you, I ordered the Bradley Smoker today.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Apparently you didn't listen to ALL the advice.[:(]

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Chez, My Bad~~~

In my long post I did not tell him.  I hope he does not have to wait 3 to 4 weeks now for his smoker. That does seem to be the norm with other online stores.

curttate you can get the metal pucks from Chez Bubba's house of smoke. http://www.chezbubba.com/cart/index.html

Next, make sure you order pucks with your smoker. Most online stores normally don't even tell you that none are supplied. Now that is a fustration. A smoker all dressed up and no dance to go to.

If for some reason you have yet to order your Brandy then I strongly suggest ordering it from Chez Bubba. They ship when they say they will. They ship what they say they will. It arrives when they say it will. A few members here did not know about Chez and I've read their postings of fustratin concerning an extended wait time for delivery. Some of them saved a few bucks off of MSRP, but ended up waiting weeks. Ordering from someone who has to order it themselves and then ship it out is not timely. Especially when the Bradley smoker is an addon to there base product line. Good luck here.  Chez is the only online store that I fouind that stocks them. When I called "Mr. Bradley" he said, Oh ya Chez he is on top of things! Chez also gives out free 48 pack of pucks with the purchase of a unit. Plus if you purchase a smoker from them you get a lifetime discount of 10% on future puck sales.

Anyway glad to have you onboard as a Bradley smoker, and will be looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefJeff

<font color="red"></font id="red">What he said I also did not know about Chez Bubba -What a long wait it was[:(!][:(!]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

msiler

As I recall there was one person on here that ordered from another source before finding chez, came on here found out that bisquettes were not included with the smoker and oredered them from chez and they beat the smoker by at least a week....

When in doubt smoke it.

curttate

DoW-Oldman: Thanks so much for your reply.  Based on your comments and others that I have received, I am convinced that I should own a Bradley smoker.  So. I ordered one yesterday.  I can't wait to get to smokin!  I'll let you know how my food turns out.[:)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />Welcome Curttate to the best smoker forum on the net. You will love getting to know the folks here.

Well I'm not going to get into another long story. I don't know your background in smoking. However, I've been smok'in foods for 46 years now. Now if it is out there, I've owned, made it; I even made a water smoker that atomized the water. I've seen it all and done it all. This also included curing / smoking / hanging hams for a year when I was a boy with my grandfather. Not to mention making my own kielbasa over the years. If you ever made sauage from scatch then you know that there is nothing worse than a tarred tasting,  blown out casing, overly dry sauage do to having to maintain a heat level to insure the smoke flow.  

Ya smoking fish is a snap. I can do it on a gas grill with a bread pan for the wood chips. However, smoking delicate foods that require a constant temperature of 160 F is another matter. With the Bradley once the box is at temperature, if needed I can adjust its heating device to maintain that constant temperature. After 30 minutes of watching to make sure that the temperature is constant I then  place in the item in the Bradley and then start the smoking process. This opens so many more options than any other smokers out there.

For the average/ new back yard smoker the Bradley does one thing for him that no other smoker out there can .  It puts him in my 46 year class of smoking. This is not a Rag on myself; it is an example that of what a new smoker can expect if that person just follows the directions, listens to the folks here.

At $1.11 per hour to smoke it is on the cheap. The lack of worrying about flare ups-tarring, off gassing--bitter taste, juggling the smoke & heat factor puts the Bradley in a Pros class of results.

Just to touch on this smoke & heat factor a little more. The fact that the smoke generator is not the heating device opens up variables that other smoker' companies wish they had incorporated into their system.

Do a net search for resturant smokers and you will find that they utilize the Bradley approach. You will not find any direct smoke/heat devices being used in that industry. This is by design, not by accident.  

Ya there are smokers out there that use pellets, sawdust, wood chips, split logs and many cost less than the Bradley. However, the first time that smoker ruins a ham or prime rib, or it melts the cheese you wanted to smoke the cost of those smokers has just increased.

The real cost is your pride when you serve it at the table and all of eyes kind of go around after first bite. Then you take a bite and the bite, bites ya back.

An analogy to be made is this: There are two resturants that both server beef, potato, salad and have someone take your order and give you the food. One is called McDonald's the other is Ruth's Steak House.

If a person cannot smoke it in a Bradley with success then they need stay with BBQ over gas.

Opps I'm sorry I lied...this posting is somewhat long [:D]  Good luck in your decision, and again welcome to this place!
Olds

curttate

Thanks ChefJeff for your reply.  I am looking for the ease of smoking and I have taken your comments and others into consideration.  I ordered a smoker yesterday.  Now I can't wait to try smoking with a lot less monitoring of the wood chip pans.[:)][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

curttate

DoW-Oldman:  I missed the boat.  Since I am new at surfing Google, I did not know  that Chez Bubba was a retail site. Chez Bubba should be listed as the first choice on Google's search engine! Since I did not order from Chez Bubba and based on your comments, I will be lucky to get my smoker in time to use it for the 4th of July.  I did order pucks when I ordered the smoker.  I was not successful in completing my order for the metal pucks at Chez Bubba's.  I will send them an e-mail.[:0][:)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoW-Oldman</i>
<br />Chez, My Bad~~~

In my long post I did not tell him.  I hope he does not have to wait 3 to 4 weeks now for his smoker. That does seem to be the norm with other online stores.

curttate you can get the metal pucks from Chez Bubba's house of smoke. http://www.chezbubba.com/cart/index.html

Next, make sure you order pucks with your smoker. Most online stores normally don't even tell you that none are supplied. Now that is a fustration. A smoker all dressed up and no dance to go to.

If for some reason you have yet to order your Brandy then I strongly suggest ordering it from Chez Bubba. They ship when they say they will. They ship what they say they will. It arrives when they say it will. A few members here did not know about Chez and I've read their postings of fustratin concerning an extended wait time for delivery. Some of them saved a few bucks off of MSRP, but ended up waiting weeks. Ordering from someone who has to order it themselves and then ship it out is not timely. Especially when the Bradley smoker is an addon to there base product line. Good luck here.  Chez is the only online store that I fouind that stocks them. When I called "Mr. Bradley" he said, Oh ya Chez he is on top of things! Chez also gives out free 48 pack of pucks with the purchase of a unit. Plus if you purchase a smoker from them you get a lifetime discount of 10% on future puck sales.

Anyway glad to have you onboard as a Bradley smoker, and will be looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
Olds