Chicken legs with skin of a different animal ;)

Started by muebe, April 28, 2012, 05:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Started with 16 chicken legs that I skinned  :o

Then a liberal coating of Instant Gourmet...

Then each leg got a replacement skin of bacon except for three that got a slice of honey ham instead (out of bacon)...

Fired up the Bradley. Loaded 3 apple pucks (1 hour of smoke) Set the PID for a cabinet temp of 200F and convection off the first hour. Then cabinet temp ramps up to 240F with convection fan on for another 1 1/2 hours (170F IT at largest leg with the fastest Thermapen available...green :) )...

After pulling from the smoker I gave them a 10 minute ride under the oven broiler to finish up the bacon...

They were fantastic :)

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

ghost9mm

Awesome Mike, I like the new skin, money shot is killer...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Bearcub6

Those look great Muebe. I like the bacon...but who doesn't? I'm putting that on my list to try. Thannks

viper125

Hey no surprise its bacon! And I love bacon and chicken together. But never thought of using it this way. Will be stealing the idea!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

That money shot made my mouth water!  And stomach growl!  ;D  Great idea.

OU812

dman4505

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

mikecorn.1

Dam, i have to do some of those again. Those look killer Mike. Have you tried smoking them in your SRG with the smoke daddy attachment you got on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

muebe just looking at those pics again. Great job on legs and pics! I sure could go for a few right now.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on April 29, 2012, 06:21:49 AM
Dam, i have to do some of those again. Those look killer Mike. Have you tried smoking them in your SRG with the smoke daddy attachment you got on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike I have a Big Easy so it does not go low on temp. I have done them before but they get done faster than the amount of time I want to smoke. Doing them this way in the Bradley they were so dang good! Very moist and tender. Even the ones that were layered with ham ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)