"NEW" twist on FTC

Started by ChefBill, February 20, 2006, 02:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefBill

Getting ready to do 2 Boston Butts (7# each) in the BS.
I just found a Styrofoam box w/top <i>(Actually it's a small cooler with 1" thick walls)</i> that will fit in 1/2 of my cooler and will almost hold a 3/4 brisket. It will hold a 7# Boston Butt. Going to try something just for kicks. [^] I'll do the foil trick on one but not the "Towel" bit and put it in the box(foil, cooler, cooler (FCC)). Going to FTC the other 7# butt and put it in the cooler beside the styrofoam box and monitor both's internal temp. <u><i>Going to warm up the cooler first just to give a better test.</i></u> Will put a remote probe into both butts to see how they maintain the temp when closed up for a couple of hours. I have a feeling one in box will hold it's temp better than the one wrapped in a towel. If it does then this is the route to go.
<b>"UL" recommends double insulation </b>[:D]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

IKnowWood

So, how did the experiment end up.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

ChefBill

It turned out great, I pulled the butts off at about midnight. Put one in the FTC and the other in FCC[;)]. Went to bed and got up at 7am, pulled them out and did a temp probe on each. The one in the little FCC was a wild 15º higher than the FTC PLUS still too hot to pull with bare hands after 6-1/2 hours.
I guess I'll start looking for one that'll hold two butts and still fit into a 48qt. cooler.

ChefBill

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />It turned out great, I pulled the butts off at about midnight. Put one in the FTC and the other in FCC[;)]. Went to bed and got up at 7am, pulled them out and did a temp probe on each. The one in the little FCC was a wild 15º higher than the FTC PLUS still too hot to pull with bare hands after 6-1/2 hours.
I guess I'll start looking for one that'll hold two butts and still fit into a 48qt. cooler.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks for the update, ChefBill! I'm going to try the same.[:)]

Bubbagump

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

icerat4

Six and a half hours.How much foil do you use .And what did you wrap it with.Please share the info on what procedure you used to achive that long of a heat level for so long my goodness.

owrstrich

the thing that freaks me out the most in the big bad world is...

ftc...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />the thing that freaks me out the most in the big bad world is...

ftc...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah, but now there's FCC!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Let's not for get FTO.....

(<b>F</b>oil, <b>T</b>owel, preheated <b>O</b>ven to 175F. (turn oven off once meat is in it... [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefBill

icerat4,
I only used two (2) layers of foil. I used heavy duty foil and wrapped it loosely, wrapped the second layer from the top and loosely under the bottom. This caused it to sit up off the bottom of the chest. Seemed to work great "this" time but who knows next time.
You never know without trying, what works and what doesn't, That's what I love about this forum. "The [?] Experimentation" we'll try never ends.[:D]

ChefBill