Olds needs a little help here

Started by Oldman, February 18, 2006, 11:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Now don't laugh too much folk. I've never cooked a london broil. Mother brought one over and expects me to do magic to it tomarrow or Monday...  No smoke... just magic... any suggestions.

I was thinking something along these lines for a marinade (24 hours)

Garlic power
soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
vegetable oil

Then just grill it.

Suggestions?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

begolf25

Hey Olds,

That is almost the exact recipe I use when I do London Broil.  Make sure you give it a day or two to marinate flipping it a fews times to make sure it all gets covered.

Also, do not overcook, london broil is best rare.  I like hitting it with medium/high heat for only about 5 minutes on each side depending on how thick the cut is.

Good Luck.
Bryan

iceman

Your right in there Olds. Don't forget to let it rest for a bit then paper thin slices across grain and dig in. How come I always get hungry on this forum? [:p]Almost forgot, a dose of fresh ground pepper works wonders on it just before grilling.

Oldman

Ok got them soaking. However, just for a little "kick" I added about 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce to the mix.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Olds,
I do mine hot and quick.  550f for bout 3 minutes per side above the coals 12" or so.  Then off the heat until it is cooled down until about 375-400f.  Back on and cook no more than medium.  
slice thin across the grain on a diagional.  Good luck.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

gpsmoker

A bit of good whiskey or bourbon in the marinade does not hurt either, at least in my experience. Rare and thinly sliced.....darn...now I am drooling again.....

When its brown it's cookin'. When its black it's done!
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

Arcs_n_Sparks

I'm with gpsmoker on the whiskey or bourbon, but would have added to the cook, not the marinade[8D]

Arcs_n_Sparks

GrillinFool

Here is a winner for flank steak or london broil. I use two flank steaks and I double the

recipe. This steak is just as good the second day as it is the first.

In a Large Zip-Lock bag or similar:
1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup minced green onion
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup low sodium soy saauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix Well and add
2 pounds flank steak trimmed

let soak over night...

Remove the flank steak (but save the marinade!) and grill to medium done-ness. I usually

cook this one a little longer than I do my med-rare steak.

While youre grillin, mix marinade with 1/2 tsp of cornstarch, bring the marinade to a full

boil for a couple minutes stirring constantly. let it simmer until it is thick like gravy.

I serve this thin-sliced, accross the grain, over garlic mashed red potatoes, with the gravy lightly drizzled on top. The gravy is pretty strong so test before smothering every thing. When youre done,pour the gravy on the left over steak and serve it tomorrow, this make great sandwiches.  

The Grillin Fool

Oldman

Thanks all.

GrillFool I edited your recipe and added it to the recipe site:

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221

Olds

IKnowWood

OK, that really sounds good.  I have normally only done two things with the London Broil cut or Flank Steak.  Chile-Rub for chili or Burritos.  Or Fajitas.  

But I must say, this sounds absolutely great..  Might have to try it.  - Thanks Grillin Fool.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Oldman

Well the girls ate it. The dogs loved it, but next time no teriyaki sauce. Just a little too sweet for me.

Olds