Can I always use the Cold smoke adaptor

Started by DoyleS, May 01, 2012, 04:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoyleS

I am converting a Smokey Mountain propane smoker for use with the Bradley Smoke Adaptor.  I was concerned about the heat generated in the Smokey Mountain chamber causing damage to the SG when I am hot smoking.  The Cold Smoke Adaptor looks like a nice solution to avoid that problem.  Is there any reason why I cannot always use the Cold smoke adaptor attached to my Propane Smoker whether I am hot or cold smoking?

mikecorn.1

I dont see a problem with that. I beleive some here have them set up just like that, but going to the bradley. You can also make your own cold smoke adaptor. Many here have made their own. Even as far as usinga microwave.  :o.   Hopefully some can post some pics of what they have.

Found it, here it is Devo's Rig. It will be the very first post on thread.
Mike

KyNola

Welcome to the forum.  That said, I must be missing something.  Why would you want to hook up a Bradley smoke generator to your smoker?

DoyleS

I have a Smokey Mountain propane smoker.  It has the chip box in the bottom and it is kind of a pain to keep filling the box and having the chips catch of fire.   I also do a fair amount of Salmon fishing here in Northern California so I want to try cold smoking some King Salmon bellies.  That isn't possible with the Smokey Mountain as it stands.   The Smoke Generator was relatively inexpensive at $125 and looks to be a relatively easy add and I really like its concept.  After it came, I realized that I couldn't just plug it into the Smokey Mountain or the smoke injector tube would be right over the propane flame and that would surely cause problems.  I read enough threads to conclude that the Cold Smoke Adaptor would solve those problems but just wanted confirmation from some of you.   I  probably could have gone with Smoke Pistol for less money but the Bradley has the name and the forum.   Costco sells the Adapter box for $77.   So the choice is to spend a weekend building an adaptor box out of wood or doing some sort of Joe McGee mod on a metal box or just ordering the Bradley Adapter.  With my current schedule and Honey Do list,  buying the box from Costco is probably my best option if I want to be smoking with the Smoke generator in the next couple weeks. 

DoyleS

Hmmm...   Guess I was on the Costco Canada site without realizing it.  The Cold Smoke Adaptor is not listed on the US site.   Looks like Amazon and the others are about $10 higher.   Might just build the box myself.   

3rensho

QuoteMight just build the box myself. 

I've been using the same heavy walled cardboard box for nearly five years.  Lot cheaper than the adapter.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

KyNola

Now I understand why you are wanting to attach a smoke generator to your smoker.  The short answer to your original question is yes, you can use the adapter all of the time.  And you can make one out of a cardboard box as 3rensho said.  Just be sure the box is large enough to hold the water bowl.

Salmonsmoker

I found the Bradley cold smoke adapter on Overstock.com for less than the Costco /Canada price. I just checked before posting this and they're not listed. I'm sure that their inventory changes all of the time, so at some point may have them again. I did want to let y'all know though that they have other Bradley accessories including the smokers BDS-4 $371, BDS-6 $407, which seem to have good prices. Bisquettes- all flavors- saw a 120 count Jim Beam Bourbon for $29.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

bostonsmoker

Any concern with using a cardboard box for the smoke adapter - could it get hot enough to cause a fire?

KyNola