Solve the problem with not burned briquet

Started by stborgke, May 04, 2012, 11:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stborgke

I have modifyed the elektronics so you can adjust the briquet time (sorry for my english i am from sweden)

:) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=355959237794203&set=a.289835587739902.68191.100001403906686&type=1&theater

Brikettid = briquet time

mikecorn.1

Any way you can re route this to something other than Facebook? When I click on the link, it wants to take me to a Facebook link and doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Here is the picture Mike from his Facebook page...

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DoyleS

Actually if you click on his name on Facebook it will take you to his homepage and there is  a whole series of pictures of the circuit board and the mods he has made. 
Unfortunately it wasn't really clear what the actual mods were.   It appears he has added a wafer switch and is possibly switching in different resistor values to change the timer circuit but I cannot tell from the picture.    The Integrated circuit in the picture is not one I am familiar with. 

The time choices seem to be a lot larger than I would have expected for complete biscuit burn. 

mikecorn.1

Quote from: muebe on May 04, 2012, 01:41:05 PM
Here is the picture Mike from his Facebook page...

Thanks, I'm guessing from the pic that every click (turn) of the dial will increase the amount of time of the puck  on the burner. Seems an awful lot of time. I would say 25 minutes tops. IMHO. :) 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I can see this coming in handy; especially while cold smoking, when my bisquettes never seem to burn completely. Also some members have made their own "bisquettes" from solid wood. So the last 3 settings can give those the ability to increase the burn time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stborgke

I shall give you a better description later (in the best english i can  :)) It´s very easy if you have your tongue right.

stborgke

OK, there is no click on the variable resistor. You can choose which time you want between 20 to 55 min.

Look at this picture http://korvoteknik.blogspot.se/2012/04/bradleysmoker-dubbla-brikettiden.html but DON´t soldering that wiering i propose. Make this instead! Se below!

Unfortunately i dont have any picture on how i munted the variable resistor. You can buy anyting like this (0 to 500kOHM) se the link, English. https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa/init.do?item=64-352-14&toc=20146

Take a soldering iron and solder the resistor away. (270kOhm). Then take a wire put in one of the hole there the resistor was mounted. Soldering the cable and then the resistor in serie and then a variable resistor in serie and back in the other hole again. Now you can coose the time beetwen 20 to 55 min. You can ask me directly if you want [email protected]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a video in Swedish! Google translate dosen´t help!

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/8964/5wo.mp4

DoyleS

Ok,  your explanation is very clear.   We unsolder one end of the resistor and solder a 270k ohm potentiometer in series with that resistor and connect the other end of the potentiometer to the hole where the resistor was.  So,  when the potentiometer is set to zero ohms then we still have the resistor  and so the minimum time is still 20 minutes.  When the potentiometer is increased in value then the time lengthens proportionally. 

sounds like a great modification!

thanks

Tenpoint5

I am thinking that if you guess wrong on the time, that you will start getting the creosote flavor coming from the pucks. That's why there is a 20 minute burn time on the pucks so that you only get the pure clean smoke from a puck. Once you start going past that then you run the risk of getting the dirty creosote flavors on your meat. I will pass on this mod, not worth ruining meat to save a couple cents worth of unburnt puck.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stborgke

I have rum this mod now for 2 month never get the bad taste. The flavour will not be bad. you just get happy when the bisquet get complete burned.