More heating element trouble shooting...and a fire in the cabinet?

Started by Jaunty, May 05, 2012, 10:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaunty

Thanks I already invested in one to test my previous bad element. Will take another look.

Jaunty

Sorry to be such an idiot - or too lazy to take it apart and try it, you choose :) - but do I need to unscrew the heating element from the inside of the cabinet to take off the in line fuse connection and then test each end of the in-line fuse?

UPDATE - So I checked immediately either side of the fuse and got a continuity tone. I unscrewed the element anyway just to check the connection which was solid. It also mean I could check the in-line fuse from end to end and it was fine.

So given this and that the element heats fine from the mains it appears I have a broken temperature sensor. I will try and order one from the UK supplier (although I am not sure they will know what I mean, so I will link them to the Yard & Pool part). Update to follow. Today's lamb is now  in the oven,  and the 24 pieces of brined salmon forming a pellicle will have to be cold smoked instead of hot smoked  >:(.

Jaunty

PS I just wanted to mention Brian did get back to me personally, so kudos for that,  I missed his email some how (probably opened on my mobile & I did not realise). He feels there was  a grease fire but pointed out this could have been in the lining area and I may not have even realised it before it burned itself out. I am still surprised that that amount of grease could build up smoking at lowish temps without me realising.

Jaunty

Sorry for all the posts...I read somewhere you can bypass the temp sensor to check if that is the problem. Any clues on how I can do this?

Alanfromwis

On the BDS, if you put your meter probes on the parallel pins on the oven connector after removing the cord from oven, you will get a ohm or 2 higher reading than element reading with probes on element only. If high temp sensor is bad reading will be infinite. Hope that helps.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Habanero Smoker

I believe if the element works when you plug it directly into an outlet, then the high temperature sensor is good. Are you getting any error displays on the generator LCD display?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jaunty

Alanfromwis  "On the BDS, if you put your meter probes on the parallel pins on the oven connector after removing the cord from oven, you will get a ohm or 2 higher reading than element reading with probes on element only. If high temp sensor is bad reading will be infinite. Hope that helps".

Did not try this yet as HS commented : "I believe if the element works when you plug it directly into an outlet, then the high temperature sensor is good. Are you getting any error displays on the generator LCD display?". No error displays on the generator,  and works fine directly from an outlet. If that means the temp sensor is fine,  then I seem have run out of diagnostics?

The cable connecting the generator and the cabinet seems fine, I can set the generator temp and I get a reading of the cabinet temp. Just the element only works direct from the outlet. Hmmm, Any more diagnostics I can undertake? Thanks everyone for your attempts to get my BDS back on the road.

(In the meantime, salmon was cold smoked and cooked and then cooked off in a low oven. Not as good as proper hot smoked though).

Habanero Smoker

Have you checked the wiring inside the generator that corresponds to the socket the cabinet plugs into? Make sure all the wiring is securely connected on both ends.

If by plugging in the cabinet directly into a wall outlet or surge protector to get the element to heat up, if you can still use the generator to control the temperature, you can run it like that until you find the solution to your problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Alanfromwis

You can check the voltage on the parallel pins on output connector of controller with oven turned on. Looking at controller from the back, it is the left (female) connector. With probes in bottom 2 pins with oven on set to high enough range so it't calling for heat and meter set to AC voltage, you should get 120vac. If you don't problem is in controller. If you do, check cable from controller to oven by plugging male end of cable into controller, then check for 120 vac on female end of cable. This will tell you if you have voltage to oven. You can determine if problem is in controller or cable without taking controller apart.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Jaunty

Thanks guys again. I did clean the inside of the smoke generator after I fixed the element and did a hot smoke, so it does make sense to double check the internal wiring. Sean

Jaunty

I just wanted to update the post to report back the last issue with the new element not working was user error. A wire was left loose after I opened the Smoke Generator to give it a good clean. Now sorted so I should be back in action with some  low and slow smoking in time for the UK summer (albeit with a poorly insulated cabinet haha). Thanks everyone for helping out.

KyNola

Even though it has been 8 months since you had your issue thanks for coming back and saying "hey guys, this problem was on me".  A lot of folks would have been content to let Bradley take the blame rather than admitting it was user error.

Congrats on getting your issue solved.  Happy Smoking!

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on April 27, 2014, 07:49:48 AM
Even though it has been 8 months since you had your issue thanks for coming back and saying "hey guys, this problem was on me".  A lot of folks would have been content to let Bradley take the blame rather than admitting it was user error.

Congrats on getting your issue solved.  Happy Smoking!

X2, Looking forward to pictures of your smokes

Jaunty

Hi KyNola. I only just yesterday opened it up and saw it was a wire and fixed it, as the weather is getting better. (I'd had had enough of wires and non-working elements for a while, and I do have other ways to smoke too). But it is great to have the Bradley back on track - some baby back ribs are on as I type, and the wife has requests in for hot smoked salmon and chicken. Myself, I'm looking forward to slow smoked shoulder of bone in lamb.... :). And I think I will invest in a cart for it as part of its second wind, something like this maybe http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70217336/

Saber 4

Quote from: Jaunty on April 27, 2014, 08:57:49 AM
Hi KyNola. I only just yesterday opened it up and saw it was a wire and fixed it, as the weather is getting better. (I'd had had enough of wires and non-working elements for a while, and I do have other ways to smoke too). But it is great to have the Bradley back on track - some baby back ribs are on as I type, and the wife has requests in for hot smoked salmon and chicken. Myself, I'm looking forward to slow smoked shoulder of bone in lamb.... :). And I think I will invest in a cart for it as part of its second wind, something like this maybe http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70217336/

That's a nice one, I found a wooden one on Craigslist that has enough room to use it as a countertop when putting meat in the smoker. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32615.msg381511#msg381511