Auberin PID settings advice?

Started by nodak, February 22, 2006, 01:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

I'm a Technologically Impaired Rookie and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on setup before I try mine.  It's all wired to go(thanks bubbagump and gary's wiring diagram) will be trying the cheap TC I bought with it, as my Omega TC doesn't look like it's going make it for the weekend again.  Does anything need to be changed from initial settings?

Thanks,
mike
"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

gary_CO

Have you run the autotune feature yet?

BTW, Suyi at Auberin told me the red lead on their TC is the positive one...

Don't give up on the Omega arriving. Mine showed up yesterday.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gary_CO</i>
<br />BTW, Suyi at Auberin told me the red lead on their TC is the positive one...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gary - That's opposite of what standard is for them. Check this out  http://www.pmcwire.com/ThermocoupleWire.htm
My Omega came with the red to negative.

Nodak - You will probably have to run the autotune a few times. Get the temp. close to setpoint before activating it. I would wait for the Omega TC to arrive before programming. The TC from Auberin is a pretty crappy.

Bubbagump

gary_CO

I remember that link from earlier in the thread. That's why I mentioned it to Nodak. I don't know if you've seen the Auberin TC, but it has 2 gray leads (one with a tiny red stripe). The ends have crimp-on connectors, one is blue and the other is red. That threw me a curve, so I emailed Auberin and he said red was positive on theirs.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gary_CO</i>
<br />I remember that link from earlier in the thread. That's why I mentioned it to Nodak. I don't know if you've seen the Auberin TC, but it has 2 gray leads (one with a tiny red stripe). The ends have crimp-on connectors, one is blue and the other is red. That threw me a curve, so I emailed Auberin and he said red was positive on theirs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes I saw the Auberin TC and was not impressed at all. Pretty low end to say the least. But for 5 bucks I guess a person shouldn't expect much.

Bubbagump

nodak

Just checked on-line and my Omega TC hasn't shipped yet, so it will be next week.  So I started experimenting tonight with the Aubrin TC and an electric burner and pot of water.  Seems to work fairly decent Aroud 3 degrees difference it seems.  Will have to auto tune it for my smoker this weekend.  I was wondering how do I tighten up or loosen the parameters as far as how much it fluctuates from my set temperature[?]

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br />I was wondering how do I tighten up or loosen the parameters as far as how much it fluctuates from my set temperature[?]
Nodak - The only parameter I adjusted (other than the alarm limits) was the cycle time "t". This adjusts the speed the output is turned on and off. Since you are using an SSR output you can set it to 0 or 1 for potentially better performance.

I haven't had much time, or the weather, lately to properly test it. I'd like it to be a little warmer. So far the one I'm testing is close but I need to run it longer to see how much fluctuation in box temp. I get.

Also, it you used a mini-jack on your project box and wired it with red to positive for the Auberin TC you'll need to change it when you get your Omega TC as it is wired red to negative.

Bubbagump

TomG

Re: TC polarity. I've found that red is usually negative, unless it's positive[:)] I attach the TC wires to  the appropriate PID terminals, turn it on, get an ambient read then hold the probe in my hand. If the indicated temp increases, the hookup is correct, if it decreases switch the TC wires.

nodak

Well I'm giving it a real tough try today on some ribs w/Auberin TC.  You can't expect a kid to wait to play with a new toy after he opens it. Was -10F this morning getting up to smoke now about 5.

My Omega TC and jacks won't be here until Wednesday when I tracked it.

Bubba I'm assuming I don't need to adjust alarms assuming they only close that circuit and don't shut down output to smoker??  Also was thinking I could hook up a buzzer to alarm circuit to let me know when done or smoke gets unplugged.  Wouldn't have to rely on Maverick only to get my attention.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br />Well I'm giving it a real tough try today on some ribs w/Auberin TC.  You can't expect a kid to wait to play with a new toy after he opens it. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I know how you feel. I was excited to try mine out the first time.[:p]
You are right, you don't have to adjust the alarm parameters if you don't want to as they do not affect the output. I just adjusted the ones on mine so they wouldn't come on.

Bubbagump

nodak

Do I need to auto tune every time, seasonal or never[?][?][?][?]

Will auto tune for sure when I get my new probe.  It worked satisfactory with probe, assuming it will be even better when I get my Omega probe.  

It sure was nice to be able to run to the other farm 20 minutes away for a couple of hours without worrying. Definitely recommend to everyone.

nodak

Do I need to auto tune every time, seasonal or never[?][?][?][?]

Will auto tune for sure when I get my new probe.  It worked satisfactory with probe, assuming it will be even better when I get my Omega probe.  

It sure was nice to be able to run to the other farm 20 minutes away for a couple of hours without worrying. Definitely recommend to everyone.

PS thanks bubbagump for all the advice.

bubbagump

<br />Do I need to auto tune every time, seasonal or never[?][?][?][?]
I would autotune again with the new probe and then that should be sufficient.

Bubbagump

nodak

Bubbagumps advice is right on!!!! The Omega TC is superior.  The other TC jumped around current temp, but did hold smoker ok for boston butt.  But Omega is holding it steady, w/ no current temp jumping, as I do snack sticks.  Sure nice not to have to worry about temperature fluctuations.  PID is highly recommended.

Great big thanks to Bubbagump and all other contributors.

dick621

The color code is different in Japan for thermocouples.  Omega has a TC color code chart I think that tells all the color codes for different countrys.    Dick in Emmett, Idaho

q
Dick in Emmett, Idaho