I don't beat up on folks

Started by Oldman, June 05, 2004, 11:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I don't beat up on folks, however this time I will express my thoughts. Since 2002 I have been using Norton's Internet Security. Well this past Feb. it came time again to renew. Well I did for two systems.

Well about a week back their updated scan engine slowed my net speeds by 80%! So I go to their site. Guess what? While they took my monies, they no longer support my verison! In short I'm out of luck.

Anyway, I did my research and now have PC-cillin. I'm back in the fast lane again.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

devosmoker

Olds,
I do tech support for cable internet - as soon as I hear a customer say "I've got norton" I cringe - it has caused so many headaches for us as well as myself personaly I would never reccomend it. I too use PC-cillin and have to say it performs above and beyond.
Rob

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the time he killed himself.

Fuzzybear

Olds:  I'm in debt to McAfee....are you aware of any problems with them?[?]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

I have not used McAfee since 1999. I had a lot of problems with them. However, several of my friends use it now and they tell me that everything is going good on their end. So if you are using it and you are having no problems then all should be good.

Next <b>devosmoker</b> please correct me if I'm wrong about the following.

When using Norton if I want to allow an application to access the net then I created a new rule based on that application's .exe file as the point of reference. This tells me that when this application is running then it can access the net through a assigned port. When this application is not running then that port is closed.

This does not seem to be the case with PC-cillin. You create a new rule that opens a port or ports so that an application may access the net via those assigned ports. Thus this port is open all of the time. Application running or not.

Do you agree with the two above statements?

Next I run almost a 24/7 voice server--Ventrilo. It runs in the background. It does not show up in applications, but it does in processes. Now this is what is funny. Norton never saw Venttilo running. So I never had to allow it access. On the other hand I had to open a port for it in PC-cillin. Interesting to say the least~~!

While I can live with a couple of open ports and trust PC-Cillin to grap anything that should not be there, I find that Nortons' lack of seeing 3784 port open (Ventrilo's default port) troubling to say the least.

I read two publications where the author(s) was stacking ZoneAlarm Pro on top of PC-cillin without any problems.  I might just go that route also. Although ZAP IP blocker is a net killer. Used it to block game hackers. If one tried to join my server I went into the toliet.  

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

devosmoker

Olds,
From what I understand the firewall on PC-cillin does not actually close the ports in use but hides them so they cannot be scanned - It blocks traffic on any thing not configured to run thru it.
You are running PC-cillin Internet Security, which is a more total package than mine. Running ZoneAlarm on top can add a level of security for sure, which never hurts.

Personally I am running the free version of ZoneAlarm firewall along with just PC-cillin antivirus. Have never been hacked or infected [:p](knock wood)

As far a McAfee goes we have never had issues with it or most other brands from the ISP side. The only security program that gives us consistent headaches is Norton. Which by the way they keep telling customers is the ISP's fault not theirs [:(!](funny how they are the ONLY ones with issues[xx(].

Rob

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the time he killed himself.

Fuzzybear

Thanks guys, makes me feel better about McAfee....I've not been hacked nor have I had any viruses since I've been using it.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

[}:)][}:)][}:)]If i'm not mistaken you guys have just smoked Norton![:D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN