cure #1, #2, or TenderQuick ????

Started by rosecustom, April 24, 2012, 03:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosecustom

My first swing at ribs came good.  I know what to do to improve.  Same goes with the jerky.   However the more I get into this art the more questions come up.   I'm a little confused with the various options we have concerning cure.  Since my meat grinder / stuffer arrived it looks like sausage is next on the hit list.  I'll probably attempt a dried variety or two but I'm confused on the cure selections.  Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you who responded to my  prior posts and all the help and advice you've provided.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: rosecustom on April 24, 2012, 03:20:44 PM
My first swing at ribs came good.  I know what to do to improve.  Same goes with the jerky.   However the more I get into this art the more questions come up.   I'm a little confused with the various options we have concerning cure.  Since my meat grinder / stuffer arrived it looks like sausage is next on the hit list.  I'll probably attempt a dried variety or two but I'm confused on the cure selections.  Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you who responded to my  prior posts and all the help and advice you've provided.

Cure #1 or MTQ for most types of smoked sausage, Summer Sausage, Bolonga's

Master the cure #1 & MTQ before venturing into the cure #2 style. Its another ball game.

devo

QuoteCure #1 or MTQ for most types of smoked sausage, Summer Sausage, Bolonga's

Master the cure #1 & MTQ before venturing into the cure #2 style. Its another ball game.

X2

If you have any questions about cure #1 ask away. Best to follow a simply recipe at first and learn as you go. We all been there done it, I still make mistakes and the learning curve is never ending. Good luck on your quest  ;)

Habanero Smoker

The below link will give you an idea of the different types of cures, and depending on what country you are in, it gives some of the names. My feeling is you don't have to master one or the other to make fine sausage, just learn and understand the technique. Making fermented sausages is more difficult and generally requires additional equipment and time; but I have a friend who started out making fermented sausages, and that is still the only type of sausages he makes.

Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Waltz

I agree it is about getting the technique right. I cured meats (with saltpeter, but lets not go there) long before I made sausages or did any smoking. Basically Cure 1 (and MTQ) is for meat which will be cooked but could be in the temperature range where bacteria will thrive for a while and Cure 2 is for meat which will not be cooked or will be cured for a long time, like salami, coppa, lonzino etc. Read as much as you can about it before starting, if you don't know don't do it and if in doubt ask :) I would try out your sausage stuffer with fresh sausage (which doesn't need cure and you can freeze if need be) to get started then go from there.