Do unopened natural hog casings need to be refrigerated?

Started by jimmyb, May 10, 2012, 01:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I bought some natural hog casings a few months ago. I never refrigerated them thinking that they are not refrigerated in the store or when shipped. I am now wondering if they should be. If not, how long are they good for if unopened?

devo

Well I used to salt them in a vac pack and throw them into the crisper in the fridge, but the last batch I bought my butcher who I buy all my casings off of told me to salt them and throw into the freezer. Either way worked for me. I'm guessing that they would last longer, not sure on a time frame here but if you freeze them they should be good for a very long time.

Habanero Smoker

Are they vacuum sealed with a very small amount of liquid?

If so they don't have to be refrigerated until they are opened, and any left over should be covered with salt and refrigerated. After salting they will last indefinitely.

The package should have a use by date stamped on it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pmmpete

A couple months ago I used part of a package of hog casings, and then put the remaining casings in a plastic bag containing a saturated salt solution and a bunch of extra salt, and put the bag in the freezer.  Does freezing hog casings damage them?  I'm worried that when I defrost the casings and start stuffing them, they'll split.

Habanero Smoker

Yes! Freezing the casing can weaken them. The main word is freeze; depending on your solution and the temperature you keep your freezer at, if the solution doesn't freeze solid you should be alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

slowpoke

I freeze my hog casings in salt,thaw them out,soke,rinse,use and return left over casings to the freezer.These ones I have had for 2yrs.I haven't had any splits yet.When I take them from the freezer the casings are pliable,not hard or brittle.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

ghost9mm

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 10, 2012, 01:16:37 PM
Are they vacuum sealed with a very small amount of liquid?

If so they don't have to be refrigerated until they are opened, and any left over should be covered with salt and refrigerated. After salting they will last indefinitely.

The package should have a use by date stamped on it.

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill