smoked black Cod/sable fish

Started by Mike I, February 25, 2006, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike I

any body tried this with their bradley

a fisherman friend of mine gave me a couple,, want to try and smoke them

i am have bin told that they are lightly cold smoked,,,  any one know??

any recepies, smoking times,,, brines etc

greatly apprceited,,, tks indavance

mike

Oldman

Cod IMO is not oily enough to be smoked.

BTW you posted this 3 times... you can delete the other two [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Never done it Mike. I know smoked black cod is a standard in stores around here but haven't a clue how it's done. Google it maybe?
T2

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

sorry cant help, would say dry brine then cold smoke. or cold smoke then grill,

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

forgot to say , Mike I welcome to the forum[:)]

rraming

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1105

that is link how I smoke trout-people here smoke walleye and white fish -it can be done

I would try my brine for 4-5 hours max,then smoke 2 hours (pecan) at 200-220 degrees use temp probe and take out at 160 degrees

If you try this please post and let me know how it worked[:o)]

Mike I

I belive the method of choice for smoking is a slight cold smoke from what i am told.  And a few people i have talked to said a quick brine.

cold smoking with mild wood flavors, as the sable fish has a very strong flovor by itself,,

alder,, from what i am told.

mike

Mike I

I belive the method of choice for smoking is a slight cold smoke from what i am told.  And a few people i have talked to said a quick brine.

cold smoking with mild wood flavors, as the sable fish has a very strong flovor by itself,,

mike

Mike I

mike

thorsen

Mike,

I just found this site and figured I'd add my 2 cents.

Smoked black cod, a.k.a sable fish, is the absolute top of the line smoked fish when properly handled. It's like Gold as far as I'm concerned.

I'd dry salt it for a day, rinse well and smoke it keeping the temperature at about 135 - 140 fahrenhite until it just starts to flake apart. Best to start this in the morning and have it for dinner as soon as it's finished.

Serve with boiled Yukon Gold potatoes, melted butter and steamed carrots.

Dick
[email protected]
www.home-smoked-fish.com
How to do it at home, smokers, and smoked salmon..

iceman

Well there thorsen your two cents is certainly welcome here. Welcome to the forum and thank you again for your input. The link you gave was interesting. Your recipe is very close to what I've been doing for dinners in the summer. The cod is excellent done this way and I usually serve it right out of the smoker with a grind of fresh pepper and a light berry based glazing sauce drizzeled over it. You got me hungry now! Have a good one.[:p]