Skin

Started by Hoppsa, May 03, 2012, 02:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoppsa

I have now smoked whole chickens and a whole turkey using different temperatures(usually close to 225 F) and times in the smoke. I have tried finishing them in the oven and finishing them in the Bradley. I haven't yet been happy with the skin. Every time it seems to come out tough and leathery. The meat inside is very moist and tender but I sure would like some better skin.
Any tips or ideas? Thanks.

mikecorn.1

In the Bradley, forget it  :(. Ive never been able to do it. In the home oven, you will probably have to go up in temp I would say to 350* or above. Hit it hot and fast. Watch that you dont burn it. Maybe even on the broil setting. Good luck.
Mike

OU812

Quote from: Hoppsa on May 03, 2012, 02:40:45 PM
I have now smoked whole chickens and a whole turkey using different temperatures(usually close to 225 F) and times in the smoke. I have tried finishing them in the oven and finishing them in the Bradley. I haven't yet been happy with the skin. Every time it seems to come out tough and leathery. The meat inside is very moist and tender but I sure would like some better skin.
Any tips or ideas? Thanks.

What was the oven temp and did ya put the bird in one of those silly oven bags?

Also did ya allow the skin to dry (over night) before ya put it in the smoker?

muebe

Go with the highest temp you can in the Bradley with the vent wide open. And when the bird hits 140F internal temperature move it to a 400F degree oven until it hits 165F to 170F internal temperature.

The only time I have perfect skin is when I cook the bird entirely in my Big Easy or at high temp in my pellet grill. Using the above formula should get you better skin.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

Any one try cooking chicken in oven first at a high heat to crisp skin then adding smoke at 225 then finish in oven?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Quote from: viper125 on May 03, 2012, 08:29:21 PM
Any one try cooking chicken in oven first at a high heat to crisp skin then adding smoke at 225 then finish in oven?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a reverse sear for chicken ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kahunas

Quote from: muebe on May 03, 2012, 06:47:19 PM
Go with the highest temp you can in the Bradley with the vent wide open. And when the bird hits 140F internal temperature move it to a 400F degree oven until it hits 165F to 170F internal temperature.

The only time I have perfect skin is when I cook the bird entirely in my Big Easy or at high temp in my pellet grill. Using the above formula should get you better skin.
Agreed,
The big easy is the best chicken cooker out there.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ghost9mm

Quote from: muebe on May 03, 2012, 06:47:19 PM

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

rosecustom

Try smoking / cooking in the Bradley.  Fire up your bbq grill.  Do a fast sear skin side down on a lightly oiled grill.  This method will crisp the skin and mark it nicely.  I think you will be pleased with the results. BTW, It is also a good idea to brine yard birds overnight before cooking.

viper125

Nothing wrong with a   reverse sear for chicken! ;)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.