Smoked Rainbow Trout - Dry Brine

Started by skewy, May 11, 2012, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skewy

This is my first post on the board.  I admit to lurking and borrowing many of the recipes and ideas from various posts over the last year or so.  I finally decided to contribute a post of my own.  So here goes...

Went fishing with my brother-in-law and caught some rainbow trout.  The fish were relatively small (around 1 lb each).  Decided to take the extra time to filet and debone the fish.  I know there are many ways to filet a fish, but I use a method similar to what is shown in this youtube video I found online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxAF139SGg

I used a dry brine that I have used in the past for salmon and modified over time, depending on ingredients on-hand and what sounds good.
        16 oz. dark brown sugar
        1/2 cup kosher salt
        2-3 Tablespoons garlic powder
           1 Tablespoon onion powder
           1 Tablespoon black pepper
           1 Tablespoon dry mustard
           1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper

Layered fillets in glass oven dishes, covering each layer well with the brine mixture.  Brined for 10 hours in fridge.  Here is a pic of some of the fish at the start of the brining.

After brining, I rinsed in cold water and air dried in the fridge overnight to form a tacky pellicle. 

Smoked following the bradley guidelines.  Time in the smoker was 2 hrs at 100 degrees and 1.5 hours at 140 degrees.  I applied approx. 2 hours of alder smoke at the beginning.  Finished it in the oven for 2 hrs at 175 degrees, and before putting in the oven, I "lightly" glazed with honey. 

Ready to go in preheated 175 deg. oven.

Here is an example of the final product.

I hope the pics posted ok. 
Thanks to everyone for the great info. on this board!
- Dave
Parkinsons adds movement to my jig...

Habanero Smoker

Hi skewy;

Welcome to the forum.

The trout look good. I do have a question; I understand taste is subjective, but how would you describe the level of sweetness?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

skewy

Thanks for the welcome Habanero. 

I have had a batch that was too sweet using this recipe or something close too it.  I believe it was because I did not rinse prior to air drying.  I am not big on real sweet smoked fish.  To prevent it, I give the fillets a good rinse in cold water before air drying and make sure the honey glaze is very light (or skip it all together). 

viper125

Welcome Skewy! Fish looks great! Not sure about the honey though. As I prefer not so sweet either. Question I have is why do you finish in oven?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

skewy

Thanks Viper. 

I finished in the oven because it was raining so hard here (Seattle weather at its best!).  Also, I do not yet have a temp. controller and wanted to watch that last stage closely since the fillets were so thin.  I was worried about drying it out...

Habanero Smoker

The next time I get some fillets, I will definately give this a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Nice job skewy. Those look picture perfect.  :)

Smoker John

Welcome skewy, the fish looks really nice
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Mr Walleye

Welcome to the forum Skewy.

The "bows" looks excellent!  :P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MrRaven

ooooh - this looks good. a friend just dropped off a steelhead and I think this is gonna be the brine I try.

destrouk

Consooger

Skewy those look great! I have some trout in the freezer dying to come out of their vac from my trip this year.

Definately giving this one a run as well

- Sugar
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife