tried and turned out great had to share NOW WITH PIC

Started by armpower, May 17, 2012, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armpower

hello all!  hope everyone is off to a great spring.   sorry i have not been around for awhile but i am back with something cool

made deer summer sausage two weeks ago and instead of using the typical casings i used corn husks... yes husks!

make the sausage according to your recipe

soak husks in warm water

take about 10 to 16 oz of meat mixture (depending on husk size)

form loaf and place inside husk

twist ends and tie shut

things i learned,  easiest to tie with torn husk not string.   also and we didn't figure this out till the last 5  >:(  works best to have one person twist and the other tie!

place in smoker with hickory and smoke as you would any summer sausage,   after the ice bath  unwrap the husk and suck and seal in the appropriate size portions for you.

sorry no pics    i will get better at that i promiss

also made some deer chirizo   ummmmmy

KyNola

Aw dude, you have GOT to post some pics.  I would love to see the finished product if nothing else.  I don't care if it is already vac sealed.

Come on, at least one. Please?

armpower

tell me how and i will put it on tonight!

you do sound a little needy, you know you cant tast a picture  ;D

NePaSmoKer

The old saying here.

Been there done that with corn husks cept why cool them with water? Water will get between the husk and meat and could make the meat turn white and get mushy. The husk adds a slight corn flavor and is just a wrapping vessel for the sausage. Like using a cloth bag, just let the sausage come to room temp with no cold water bath. I guess i just do sausage different than most.

Photo hosting. Free
http://photobucket.com/

armpower

thanks  i will try the photo thing tonight.

did you like the husks?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: armpower on May 17, 2012, 10:35:44 AM
thanks  i will try the photo thing tonight.

did you like the husks?

Yes

I made small chubs with the husks and took hunting. The husk can be tossed in the woods and will eventually become just like a leaf and compost away.

KyNola

Quote from: armpower on May 17, 2012, 10:16:01 AM
tell me how and i will put it on tonight!

you do sound a little needy, you know you cant tast a picture  ;D
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768

Step by step guide to post photos.

armpower

Ne pa,

only did the water bath because i thought i was supposed to...    this was my first ever sausage making.   after the bath i pulled all the husks, dried and suck and sealed.

also made German sausage and chorizo    everything turned out good.   the German sausage was a cabelas mix... a little too salty.   currently looking for a recipe from a German  :D        used about 2/3 deer and 1/3 pig.   we have SAM's club here so pig is fairly cheap,  i went with a pork loin and ground it.   figured good pig make good sausage?

i think i have officially caught the sausage bug.   cant wait till deer season. 

also if anyone has a sausage recipe that they pickle,  i would love to hear it.

LP

NePaSmoKer

Nice

Send some em down south  ;D

You did add cure to the mix?..........Right

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

KyNola

Those look great man!  Thanks for posting the pic.

mikecorn.1

Looks good. Like the cheese in there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

rsherman24

Nice job.  Do you get any taste come through from the husk