Smoked Lake Trout - first time using Bradley Smoker

Started by scales, May 17, 2012, 04:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Walmart carries it in the Asian food section. I use this stuff to make fantastic GB jerky and some fantastic venison steaks.
KC

pmmpete

Scales, you wouldn't need to brine your fish as long if you used a more concentrated brine.  Morton doesn't publish the percentage of salt in Tenderquick, but if you assume the Tenderquick is 100% salt (which it isn't), and that table salt weighs 10 oz. per cup, your brine is the equivalent of about .625 lbs. of salt in a gallon of water, which is about 26 degrees SAL, which isn't a very concentrated brine.  if you changed your recipe to 3/4 cup of salt and 1 cup tendercure in 8 cups of water, that would be the equivalent of about 1.25 lbs. of salt in a gallon of water, which would be about 50 degrees SAL, which is a moderately concentrated brine.  With a brine that concentrated, you'd probably only need to brine lake trout fillets that size with the skin on for about 2 hours.  That would be safer, because it would provide less time for bacteria to grow in your brine and fish.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Scales;

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking fish.

Morton's TQ is approximately 70% salt. I know you don't like trout that have a strong fish taste, but note that the more TQ you add to your brine, the more "ham-like" taste the nitrites will add to the flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)