spice weights in grams

Started by pikeman_95, May 23, 2012, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Does any body have a chart where they have weighed in grams a level TBS of every spice that they have access to. I would like to compile a list if anybody has something like this. MT FIDDLER  Lon Ockler has a excel sheet he developed that when a recipe is entered on the sheet all you need to do is change the base weight of the batch you want to make and all the spices are recalculated. Also Is is possible to attach a file to the forum or to the recipe site? I have started a conversion sheet for all the spices that I had access to by weighing a level TBS on a accurate gram scale but I could use a more complete sheet. This is something we might want to build on because there are still many spices that need to be added. Lon did a great job on this sheet. I have shared it with a few but others would like to have it I am sure. Is anyone wants a copy they can send me a email at [email protected] and I will send you the file.
Kirby

GusRobin

I found this chart that has the average weight per teaspoon of spices

Gram
2---Ground Ginger
2---Ground Paprika
2---Ground Coriander
2---Ground Cumin
2---Ground Aniseed
2---Ground Caraway
2---Ground Cardomom
2.6-Ground Cinnamon
2.6-Ground Nutmeg
2.6-Ground Cayenne
2.6-Garlic Powder
2.6-Ground Pimento
2.6-Ground Mace
2.6-Ground Star Anise
2.6-Ground Clove
2.6-Black Pepper
3.3-White Pepper
3.3-Caraway Seed
3.3-Ground Turmeric
5.3-White Sugar
5.3-Phosphate
7.3-Garlic Salt
8---Salt
0.3-Dried Tarragon
0.6-Rubbed Oregano
0.6-Ground Sage
1.3-Rubbed Sage
1.3-Mixed Herbs
1.3-Rosemary
1.3-Rubbed Mint
2---Rubbed Thyme
2---Ground Bay
2---Ground Cassia
2---Annato Colour
2---Ground Celery
2---Ground Fennel
2.6-Hickory Smoke Pwd
3.3-Plain Wheatflour
4---Crushed Chilli
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

3rensho

As bulk densities vary all over the place one is well advised to abandon volume measure for solids and invest in a decent scale.  For spices I have one that will measure out to the nearest 10mg.  There is a good reason why Len Poli's recipes are metric and the volume measure of solids is only approximate.   
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Most current charts are not the most reliable, I find that they round off liberally. The best way is to find a spice weight to volume converter. I use to have a few bookmarked, but I can't find most of them and the one I did find, they made it a little more difficult to use. Sometimes you need to use different calculators, if one calculator doesn't have a particular spice listed.

Once you get a list together I can post a file to the recipe site, and as you update your list I can easily post the update on the recipe site.

Doing a quick search I found these two, but they are not as easy to use as the ones I have bookmarked.

This is the easiest to use:
Cooking Conversion Calculator

I just noticed they have a new calculator that they is in the beta testing stage:
Cooking Coversion Calculator - beta

The following two are a little more difficult:
Online Spice Calculator

USDA Food List

EDITED:
I almost forgot. Some time ago I was working with Smoking Duck when he develop the Spice Inventory. That has a small data base of the most common spices:

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

slowpoke

I'm confused. ???When do you need to weigh and when do you pick up the measuring spoons.I have never come across measurements in weight except for when I'm reloading gun powder.I don't mined weighing I can haul out my 10-10 RCBS lol.
Just wondering.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

3rensho

It all depends on how accurate you want to measure.  I used to reload all my own ammo too and I would never use a teaspoon to measure the powder.  If you want a tight group then measure the weight accurately.  If you are happy just placing a shot on the paper, measure solids by volume.  With liquids you have a lot more leeway.  Temperature and coefficient of expansion are a lot more lenient in the temp range we normally work in.  Read Len Poli's recipes.  The man knows from where he speaks.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

slowpoke

I can clearly see someone in compatition wanting to get exact measurements,but I guess for me,I'll stay simple for now lol. Thanks

pikeman_95

The reason to convert the volume measurements to weight in grams. Is once in a gram weight the recipes can be entered into a excel sheet that MT fiddler came up with.  This sheet is set up so that you can enter any recipe you want to the sheet. Once it is entered you can change the batch size you wish to make and all the spice weight are recalculated for you. Remember we are talking grams not grains like a reloading scale uses. The reloading scale is much to fine of a measurement and not needed. Simple 5000 grams scales are available from Harbor Freight for $18.99. Here is a link to that scale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html
I often take my scale to the good food store that sell bulk spices and weigh out just the weight of spice for a batch of sausage. This way my spices stay fresh and I just have to combine them and I am ready to make my sausage.
Like I said in the first post on this thread if you drop me a personal email I will share the excel file with you .

Habs is there a way to attach this file to some place that forum members can have access to?? I am going to send you a personal attachment that will give you a chance to try it out. I think you will like it. I would just like to share it with other members.

1 tsp   1 tbs   
Gram   Gram   
2             6                Ground Ginger
2.26        6.78           Ground Paprika
2.36        7.08           Ground Coriander
1.96        5.88           Ground Cumin
2.45        7.35           Ground Aniseed
2.49        7.47           Ground Caraway
2.31        6.93           Ground Cardomom
2.6         7.8             Ground Cinnamon
2.6         7.8             Ground Nutmeg
2.16        6.48           Ground Cayenne
2.78        8.34           Garlic Powder
2.6        7.8              Ground Pimento
2.6        7.8              Ground Mace
2.6        7.8              Ground Star Anise
2.6        7.8              Ground Clove
2.54        7.62           Black Pepper
2.45        7.35           White Pepper
3.3        9.9              Caraway Seed
3.3        9.9              Ground Turmeric
5.3        15.9           White Sugar
5.3        15.9           Phosphate
7.3        21.9           Garlic Salt
5.5        16.5           Salt
0.3        0.9              Dried Tarragon
0.6        1.8              Rubbed Oregano
0.6        1.8              Ground Sage
0.68        2.04           Rubbed Sage
1.3        3.9              Mixed Herbs
1.3        3.9              Rosemary
1.3        3.9              Rubbed Mint
2           6                 Rubbed Thyme
2           6                 Ground Bay
2           6                 Ground Cassia
2           6                 Annato Colour
2           6                 Ground Celery
2           6                 Ground Fennel
2.6        7.8                Hickory Smoke Pwd
3.3        9.9                Plain Wheatflour
4            12               Crushed Chilli
3.42        10.26          brown sugar
2.4        7.2                ground mustard seed
1.28        3.84           thyme ground
0.59        1.77          rosemary
4.2        12.6               garlic minced
2.74        8.22           tumeric
0.74        2.22           oragno leaves crushed
2.68        8.04           celery seed
2.73        8.19           onion powder
1.5        4.5               crushed red pepper
1.21        3.63           non fat dried milk
0.84        2.52           basil leaf crushed
3.1        9.3               dextrose
2.67        8.01          corn syrup solids

Habanero Smoker

For this forum you would have to ask Brian, but the only way I can think of that would be convenience would be to copy it to a PDF file, then convert it to a jpg file. At that point you can host it on Photobucket or other picture hosting site, then link it.

If you don't have a PDF converter, you can send me the file, I can convert it to a jpg and send it back to you. Then check with Brian to see if he will make it a sticky in the sausage making section, so that it will be at the top of the list. Also it can be hosted on the recipe site in the same manner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pikeman_95

Quote from: slowpoke on May 24, 2012, 04:49:30 AM
I'm confused. ???When do you need to weigh and when do you pick up the measuring spoons.I have never come across measurements in weight except for when I'm reloading gun powder.I don't mined weighing I can haul out my 10-10 RCBS lol.
Just wondering.

Slowpoke
send me a personal email and I will send some examples of the sheet. You will understand what I am talking about when you have had a chance to play with it. When you want to make a batch of sausage in a larger or smaller size then your normal recipe calls for the excel sheet will make all the spice adjustments for you. It is very cool. With a simple gram scale you can do a different batch with out any worry.
My email is [email protected]  If anyone wants to see an example do the same.
Kirby

Kahunas

I must be doing it all wrong. I have never been known to stick strickly to a recipe. I throw in what ever looks good at the time. The only thing I halfway measure is when I am making a batch of my rub and it usually gets a little more of this or a little less of that too. All my friends and family tell me they love what I cook and would kill for my rub recipe so I guess I am doin something right, oops I mean wrong.....
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

pikeman_95

Quote from: Kahunas on May 24, 2012, 02:08:42 PM
I must be doing it all wrong. I have never been known to stick strickly to a recipe. I throw in what ever looks good at the time. The only thing I halfway measure is when I am making a batch of my rub and it usually gets a little more of this or a little less of that too. All my friends and family tell me they love what I cook and would kill for my rub recipe so I guess I am doin something right, oops I mean wrong.....

When I am doing a couple of hundred pounds of sausage and not all of it belonging to me I can't afford to just wing it. It doesn't mean much if a couple of pounds don't taste too good but the cost of processing a couple hundred pounds is a different subject. besides when you hit on a winner wouldn't you like to repeat it every time.
The other thing you will find on this forum there are new members that want to make a recipe but at a smaller or larger amount then the original recipe. This helps them make the adjustment with out making mistakes.
This is just a helping program for those that feel they could use it.

slowpoke

pikeman email sent.I think.

viper125

Personally I'm all for it. Pikeman talk to who runs the susan minor site. They have downloads for the recipe file. Should be a simple thing to set a pdf download up.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

I think what Pikeman is after is to have the ability for members to download the file in it's MS Excel (.xls) format. Unfortunately if it was in a .pdf format it would loose all it's functionality.

Habs

I know on the Recipe site there is a .doc file being hosted for download. I don't think an .xls file would be any different. Here's a link to the .doc file.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?792-Auber-PID-Step-Programming&p=1194#post1194

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes