Fan mod question

Started by Boo Boudreaux, May 24, 2012, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo Boudreaux

I noticed a number of posts regarding fan mods and element upgrades but has anyone done the fan mod without upgrading the  500w heating element?  If so how does it effect the performance of the OBS? Will the fan cause issues with the Bradley's recovery time or with the smoke generator?

My goal is to have an even heat which will eliminate having to rotate the racks as much while smoking to prevent burnt or dark spots on the sausage or other similar products.

NePaSmoKer

I have a fan in my 6 rack with out a double element. Works great and i do many lbs of sausage.

If your getting dark spots it normally a problem called black rain. IE to much moisture in the smoker.

Toker

No problem at all. It will only even your temp inside the tower.

mikecorn.1

I will give you my 2 cents. I have found that at least my 2 in. Fan doesn't even out my temps as much as I thought it would or wanted to. Again thats my experience in my Bradley. I do have dual 500s though. Others here have had more success with bigger fan blades evening out their temps throughout the tower.
I know Muebe has I believe a 5 in amd
Devo also has a big blade in his. The are both mounted on the sides of the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kahunas

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 24, 2012, 07:50:22 PM
I will give you my 2 cents. I have found that at least my 2 in. Fan doesn't even out my temps as much as I thought it would or wanted to. Again thats my experience in my Bradley. I do have dual 500s though. Others here have had more success with bigger fan blades evening out their temps throughout the tower.
Devo also has a big blade in his. The are both mounted on the sides of the tower.

I feel the same way about my fan mod. It helped a lot but did not cure it completely. I have a 900w element in mine and the bottom racks get done before the top if I don't rotate. Granted it is a lot better than before the mod and I can get away with one rotation usually but I had hoped for better performance. I even put a shroud around the fan like some have suggested. That did seem to help a little.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Kahunas on May 25, 2012, 05:49:48 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 24, 2012, 07:50:22 PM

I feel the same way about my fan mod. It helped a lot but did not cure it completely. I have a 900w element in mine and the bottom racks get done before the top if I don't rotate. Granted it is a lot better than before the mod and I can get away with one rotation usually but I had hoped for better performance. I even put a shroud around the fan like some have suggested. That did seem to help a little.
Do you have a pic of the fan with shroud?

Mike

beefmann

I run a blower in my tower, and yes it  does even out box temps,,,  here is a link to what i   did. As far as i  know.. I  am the  only one running this exact mod as it stands, Others  have added the  900 watt element just not like mine

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.msg209917#msg209917

TedEbear

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 25, 2012, 06:26:21 AM

There are some pics of one on page 3 of this thread:  Circulation Fan

Kahunas

Quote from: TedEbear on May 25, 2012, 09:23:18 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 25, 2012, 06:26:21 AM

There are some pics of one on page 3 of this thread:  Circulation Fan
Mine looks pretty close to that.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Tenpoint5

Like Nepas mentioned the black spots are "Black Rain". This is caused by having the vent closed down too much. Thus the moisture builds up in the vent area and absorbs and loosens the smoke build up in the vent. Once the concentration gets too heavy it "Rains" back down on your meat. It will give you the black spots and a bitter creosote taste to your meat wherever you see the spots. Open your vent more and let that moisture out and your black spotting will go away. Almost guarantee it!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

Here is how Mike (Mr. Walleye) did his.

Fan Shield

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Boo Boudreaux

Thanks for all the feed back, looks like I will need to get a fan before I make more sausage.  Also I had the vent open most of the time but I will leave it fully open next time for the entire cook/smoke time.

Again thanks for all the feed back I knew you guys would get me lined out.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 25, 2012, 01:02:02 PM
Mike;

Fan Shield
Got it. Thanks

Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 25, 2012, 01:02:02 PM

Wow, I wish I would have posted that.  Wait...I already did, 3 posts prior.   ::)

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 25, 2012, 02:04:13 PMGot it. Thanks

You're very welcome.

viper125

Wow some times no one answers other times fight to do it. LOL Just kidding. I wasn't pleased with mine. Checked with digital and got different readings. But the knock wurst was the first time i hung meat since doing the fan mod. And I do have 2 500 w mod. I was surprised to see the meat was with in 1-2 degrees the full length. Which is great. That tells me it averaged out. With the fan continually moving air. I wouldn't think one area would remain the same. And the digital don't change as quick as needed for that kind of watching. So I have changed my mind. No matter what my digital say, if I pull it and it's that close what else can I ask for?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.