Fan mod question

Started by Boo Boudreaux, May 24, 2012, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Quote from: TedEbear on May 25, 2012, 04:36:55 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 25, 2012, 01:02:02 PM
Here is how Mike (Mr. Walleye) did his.

Wow, I wish I would have posted that.  Wait...I already did, 3 posts prior.   ::)

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 25, 2012, 02:04:13 PMGot it. Thanks

You're very welcome.
Unless I'm missing something, the links posted above named Circulation Fan and Fan Shield are totally different. I was inquiring on the fan shroud. The link posted named fan shield is what i wanted to see. The link named circulation fan only shows or all i see is the installation of a fan which i already have. Again, maybe cause I'm looking on my phone, maybe I missed something with the small print. Just in case feelings were hurt. :) ::)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

I wasn't happy with the results of one 2" fan either. So installed a second one and the performance is better - still not perfect but good enough. I have done a batch of sausage and a batch of sticks after the second fan install, without rotating and found the bottom ends of some were done a little more than others but were still good. When I do nuts I will still rotate once during the 2 hours.

Hope this helps.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on May 25, 2012, 08:31:34 PM
I wasn't happy with the results of one 2" fan either. So installed a second one and the performance is better - still not perfect but good enough. I have done a batch of sausage and a batch of sticks after the second fan install, without rotating and found the bottom ends of some were done a little more than others but were still good. When I do nuts I will still rotate once during the 2 hours.

Hope this helps.
Where did you put the second one? :)

Mike

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

JZ

QuoteWhere did you put the second one?

I pulled out the first one that was located in the middle of the smoker and put in 2 at the same level, about 1/4 of the way in from each side, I think, it was a while ago. If you or Boo want a pic I will take one and post it.

I am absolutely positive that the 5" mod that Muebe did would move a whole crap load more air than my 2 - 2" fans. The pro is that I doubt you would ever have to rotate racks and the con is that you would have to give up one rack, or maybe 2 if you added the extra racks to go from 4 to 8 like I did.

I guess it all comes down to priorities. ;D

Habanero Smoker

Unless I'm missing something, the links posted above named Circulation Fan and Fan Shield are totally different. I was inquiring on the fan shroud. The link posted named fan shield is what i wanted to see. The link named circulation fan only shows or all i see is the installation of a fan which i already have. Again, maybe cause I'm looking on my phone, maybe I missed something with the small print. Just in case feelings were hurt. :) ::)

Mike;

The link from TedE, is the same thread, but his takes you to the beginning of a tread that is three pages long. I posted a link to take you directly to where the instructions of installing the shield, instead of having to scroll through several pages.

Quote from: viper125 on May 25, 2012, 05:44:06 PM
Wow some times no one answers other times fight to do it. LOL Just kidding. I wasn't pleased with mine. .........

I don't tend to fight to beat anyone to a post; my goal is to make sure members get an answer. Though I do have a tendency to  often overlook and not read all or some posts prior to answering. Which I have to admit, I did so in this case. In the end it worked out for the best, and anyway my post was more direct to the answer.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 26, 2012, 01:57:39 AM

Mike;

The link from TedE, is the same thread, but his takes you to the beginning of a tread that is three pages long. I posted a link to take you directly to where the instructions of installing the shield, instead of having to scroll through several pages.

Quote from: viper125 on May 25, 2012, 05:44:06 PM
Wow some times no one answers other times fight to do it. LOL Just kidding. I wasn't pleased with mine. .........

I don't tend to fight to beat anyone to a post; my goal is to make sure members get an answer. Though I do have a tendency to  often overlook and not read all or some posts prior to answering. Which I have to admit, I did so in this case. In the end it worked out for the best, and anyway my post was more direct to the answer.  ;D
I love using tapatalk just for the convenience. I will admit that when a link takes me to somewhere else like the recipe site, it is a Lil awkward to view on the phone trying to zoom in on stuff.
I did see where it was mentioned on the post that it was on page 3 of the thread but I couldn't get to it ???

Mike

Boo Boudreaux

One more question, I found a fan on the smoke and stuff web site an some on drill spot. Which fan or fan are recommended?

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Boo Boudreaux on May 26, 2012, 07:04:48 AM
One more question, I found a fan on the smoke and stuff web site an some on drill spot. Which fan or fan are recommended?
I have the one from smokeandstuff. It brings everything necessary to mount. Fairly simple. Even has a template. I just don't believe IMHO that a 2 inch fan makes enough of a difference to justify the price. Again, that's my opinion.

Mike

viper125

Mike I said i was joking. But I usually get all the help I need. Some times I do get in a bit of a rush though. LOl
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on May 25, 2012, 09:24:46 PM
QuoteWhere did you put the second one?

I pulled out the first one that was located in the middle of the smoker and put in 2 at the same level, about 1/4 of the way in from each side, I think, it was a while ago. If you or Boo want a pic I will take one and post it.

I am absolutely positive that the 5" mod that Muebe did would move a whole crap load more air than my 2 - 2" fans. The pro is that I doubt you would ever have to rotate racks and the con is that you would have to give up one rack, or maybe 2 if you added the extra racks to go from 4 to 8 like I did.

I guess it all comes down to priorities. ;D
Dam!! Don't know how I missed this. If us don't mind, I would love to see a pic of the twin 2" fans. :)

Mike

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on May 27, 2012, 01:45:24 PM
Mike I said i was joking. But I usually get all the help I need. Some times I do get in a bit of a rush though. LOl
Me too 8)

Mike

devo

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 26, 2012, 07:53:42 AM
I have the one from smokeandstuff. It brings everything necessary to mount. Fairly simple. Even has a template. I just don't believe IMHO that a 2 inch fan makes enough of a difference to justify the price. Again, that's my opinion.

You got that right Mike....hence my other fan mods. You can do better than the one from smokeandstuff even if your a total bonehead about this stuff.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: devo on May 27, 2012, 02:47:19 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 26, 2012, 07:53:42 AM

You got that right Mike....hence my other fan mods. You can do better than the one from smokeandstuff even if your a total bonehead about this stuff.
:)

Mike

devo

Kirby has a really nice system on one of his smokers. Takes the air and recycles it from top to bottom, true convection if you ask me.