My Puck Maker

Started by headgames, March 01, 2006, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headgames

Here are the details of the pucks that I make
I take dry wood and run it through a wood jointer omiting the bark
currently using  oak,apple and hicory. then I run it through my old meat grinder or  a blender to get it smaller. seems the smaller it is with some dust the better it compresses and holds its shape.
   My first proto type was 2 1/4" id machine tubing
 but compressed pucks grow a bit over time . but it made pucks just some would not fit down the feed tube

currently using a 2 3/16 id machine tubing even then over time a few pucks grow to 2 5/16" od . so if you build on I reccomend  2 1/8" id tubing . there is no gauge on the exhaust pipe bender ( THE POWER HOUSE FOR THE PROJECT) but we belive we are around 2000 psi of compression  I feed my saw dust in to a 1 3/4 " gap  loosely filled

then I compress it down to about 7/16" because it will grow a bit  

here is a picture of their puck ( ON THE LEFT ) my puck (ON THE RIGHT)
  Iam using  no binders just dry chips and  saw dust . some woods work better then others  OAK seems to grow the most after compressing and the APPLE seems to grow the least . Iam not on the computer much but will be happy to aswer any questions in time .

No I cannot chip my own wood compress them and make it worth my time for RESALE but for my own use and trying different wood combinations its great .         enjoy apply/hicory combo [:D]
<font color="blue">
<font size="3"></font id="size3">I still belive their puck is rolled out in a sheet like OSB board with some mild binder and them PUNCHED out to size.</font id="blue">

If ya go home hungry.........You were at the WRONG HOUSE !
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Habanero Smoker

There is another thread about giving someone a persistence award. By far you win by a huge margin[:)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TomG

Good job HG.  Have you had a chance to weigh your pucks. Bisquettes average 14 grams each.

iceman

Wow!!! Man, I need some time off to play like that! Good job![;)]

headgames

well TomG

If my scale is correct  27g  or .95 of an ounce .

owrstrich

no sh1t habsmo... that deserves an award...

ill take a gross of hickory...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

Heck of an engineering job. Proud for you~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Whatcha got there headgames? That mus be the bigger Cabelas 1 horse power grinder you got there ......eh.......?

[:D][:D][:D]

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

headgames

ROTFLMAO !   You should know by now  jaeger I don't buy it if I can make it. Bought my grinder head on E-BAY a big hobart . made the power plant underneath the diamond plate out of a Raynor 1/2 hp garage door opener . the gearing was excelent with a output of 135 rpm[8D]

man I love my digital camera !

jaeger

headgames,
That's the first grinder I have ever seen that is ran by remote control.

Nice work Headgames!!!

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

nsxbill

Re:  The puck maker.  Does it press against a flat die that you don't have pictured?  Really looks like the finished product is perfect.  Good job.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

car54

Neat looking equipment. I have 2 questions. How long does it take to make a puck, do you hold it under pressure for a certain time? Is there a difference of flavor in naturally dried versus kiln dried wood?

Thanks, Brad

IKnowWood

Have you developed the shelf life of the pucks.  Any ideas how to extend the life.  Perhaps the binder might help.  But then again the binder may gum up the tube and setup.

And based what your engineering has done,   what did you do for a grage door opener.  

You are ingenious and driven for sure.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

headgames

ok  #1 to NSXBILL   YES THERE is a die it presses . in the last pic you can see it hanging on the left side . it is another piece of metal the same size as the plonger about a 1/2" long welded to a 1/4" plate

#2 to CAR54  I can make a puck in about 15 seconds and no I don't hold it for any time just squeeze  and reset for the next one

#3  to IKNOWWOOD  shelf life  the press is 2 3/16 they stay that size about 5 minutes then they are about 1 1/4 " for at least 3 days  then they grow to about 2 5/16 and seem to stay at that size .......  the smaller the chips  the less they grow .  so  dust is good

Thunder Fish

My buddy is now pressing out pucks that resemble beaver barf...........aka: particle board.Real tough ,hopeing to get some time this weekend to test burn them  ::)