2 butts and a brisket

Started by Rudyfo, May 29, 2012, 08:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudyfo

My daughters 12th birthday party is weekend and she has requested Brisket and Pulled Pork. I am planning on doing two 8-10 pound Butts and one 8-10 pound Brisket. (I have a digital, 4 shelf system)

Here's my questions:

1. Do I put the butt on the top with the brisket on the bottom or vise-versa?
2. What temp should I set it at?
3. Approximately how long do you think it will take to get it done?

Thanks!!

TedEbear

How many people are going to be at this party?  That's a lot of meat for a 12-year-old's birthday.

I don't think it matters which is on top.  You might rotate the racks after the initial smoking of 4 hours or so. 

As far as time, butts take 1.5-2 hours per lb.  Since you'll be smoking so much at once figure on higher end or around 20 hours.  Cook until internal temp reaches 190*F or so on the brisket and 190-200*F on each butt.  FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for few hours and then slice and pull.

If I was cooking them I'd set the chamber temp to 225*F.

KyNola

Approximately 30 pounds of meat?  That is a big load for a Bradley.  It may take up to 24 hours or longer.  I don't know that rack placements all that important with the meats you have.   Some others may come along with a better idea about that.  As for temp I would set it at 225.

If you find yourself running short on time, move the load into your house oven and finish them there. 

Kahunas

Quote from: Rudyfo on May 29, 2012, 08:53:39 AM
My daughters 12th birthday party is weekend and she has requested Brisket and Pulled Pork. I am planning on doing two 8-10 pound Butts and one 8-10 pound Brisket. (I have a digital, 4 shelf system)

Here's my questions:

1. Do I put the butt on the top with the brisket on the bottom or vise-versa?
2. What temp should I set it at?
3. Approximately how long do you think it will take to get it done?

Thanks!!
Hi, sounds like your in for some fun.
1. Sounds great.
2. The other guys got you in the right direction.
3. I know it sounds bad but the answer is....until they're done. It will take a while with that much meat if you are running the original heating element.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mikecorn.1

I'm gonna say over 20 something hours. That is a lot of meat. 30LBS!!!  Try not to open the door except to rotate. You loose tons of heat and the single element will take a long time to bring it back up.
Post some pics if you can :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

After the initial smoke, I would seriously consider finishing the two butts indoors (I'd do one in the oven and one in a crockpot and then mix them when pulled).  That should be more convenient and bring your total time down by several hours since there will be three different cookers splitting the work instead of ganging up on just one.

Rudyfo

When doing it in the stove, do you put it in a pan and let it set in its own grease or do you set it on the rack with a drip pan underneath?

Kahunas

Quote from: Rudyfo on May 30, 2012, 07:43:15 AM
When doing it in the stove, do you put it in a pan and let it set in its own grease or do you set it on the rack with a drip pan underneath?
I'd wrap it in tin foil with splash of beer or apple juice and put it in a pan just in case it leaks.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ka Honu

It's your choice.  After the smoke is finished, your Bradley is essentially an oven so you can do it the same way (on a rack over a pan with or without some liquid in it) or braise it in its own juices.  I usually do one on a rack in the oven and the other in the crockpot and mix the product.  The one in the crockpot will have enough juice to make up for the other one if it gets a little dry while the one in the oven will continue to develop a great bark.

KyNola

If mine go in the oven, they sit on a roasting rack in a dry posting pan unfoiled the entire time.  I'm looking for a pronounced bark and the fat in the butt is ample to prevent the meat from drying out.

Now you have several options.  Choose the one that fits you best and don't look back. :)

squirtthecat

Rudyfo

Thanks guys...I'll post some pictures when I'm finished this weekend :)

Jsouthco

I did exactly this set up of meat in the DBS for a BBQ last Summer (8lb Butt, 9lb Butt, 8lb Brisket) and it took just over 26 hours to get to my desired IT of 190. Took me down to the wire with regards being ready on time even though I planned well in advance and the 'stall' time on the 2 butts had me wondering whether my 2 BS Digital thermometers had stopped working (which they hadn't)! Really was a case of 'they'll be ready when they are ready' and this year I might just addopt the 'finish indoors' approach after initial smoking.

By the way, they were devoured in no time when served which made every minute of the 26 hours worth it :-)

Good Luck.