Meat / Fish Smoking

Started by BrentK, June 07, 2004, 09:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentK

I have a questiona about smoking meat and/or fish.  An older guy I know who ran his own small town grocery store for over 50 years told me that you can't smoke meat and fish on the same smoker without inparting the flavor(s) of one on the other.  I have not smoked enough fish, or meat for that matter,to know if this is true or not?  Or maybe you just have to clean the smoker between each smoking[?]  Since many of you.. (Olds[;)]).. have had many years of experience maybe you could shed some light on this.

Have a GREAT day...sunny and warm 78 F today. [8D]

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

ChefJeff

Welcome Brentk.I have smoked beef,pork,cheese,salmon,& trout in my BS and have not had any adverse tastes.Can you get some of what the
"OLD" is drinking?[:D][:D][:p]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

Welcome BrentK:
I have smoked turkey/chicken/salmon/pork - my turkey did not pick up the pork taste or the salmon taste or the chicken taste.  My chicken did not pick up any other other tastes, nor the salmon etc.....maybe he wasn't keeping his smoker clean?

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

whitetailfan

I am on the fence here, not because of my opinion, but rather what I've been told.

I am with Fuzzy and CJ, because I've smoked shrimp, salmon, pork, beef, and game and have had ZERO ill effects with my Bradley.

However, I have also heard the story that you should never smoke fish in a smoker that you do other items in.  The idea is that the fish will impart its flavour into your sausage or whatever because it has a strong odour.  I never heard it the other way around.

I'm thinking that this is an old wives tale because (1) like I said above, I've already done some of everything as well as Fuzzy and CJ, and everyone else on the board, and (2) based on the woods that people use for fish, it is much milder than beef pork or poultry and can easily be overpowered.

The only thing that I can think of that would give this myth any chance of standing up, is the possibility that whatever the smoker is made of could absorb the flavours better than our Bradleys.  On the farm we have a cinderblock smokehouse.  Given the pourous makeup of the material, perhaps each smoke could affect the next one, but I personally doubt it.  Maybe it is true somewhere under different circumstances, but with the Bradley, don't be scared.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

My 2 cents worth. I can walk by a drum smoker and tell you by the smell if it is mullet that is being smoked. Any other fish I cannot tell. Perhaps this old gent (kind of like me) was talking about one type of fish.  I sure will tell ya I will not smoke mullet and chicken together.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

stormdiver

Afternoon Gentle men,
  I have cooked Steak and fish together, the fish was North Atlantic Mackrel, and I can tell you that my steak did taste of fish, but this was because i was cooking everything at the same time (my first venture). I cook/smoke a lot of chicken and a lot of fish seperately and have never had a problem. Just not at the same time[^]
Scott

Stormdiver

Chez Bubba

Olds,

When I come to Florida, I have to hit the Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. Record so far is 150 white shrimp, although next time I might have to go for the "Hungry Man" lobster 5-fer.

I asked them to give me a piece of mullet instead of shrimp & from that experience, I wouldn't EAT mullet, let alone smoke it.[xx(]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

I believe that what was meant was you could get mingled flavors if you cook it at he same time.... Not just in the same smoker.

When in doubt smoke it.