Ulimate Mods

Started by Majes, May 28, 2012, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majes

Would anyone be so kind as to provide links and/or instructions for the best combination of mods to the OBS?   I'm thinking PID, fan, dual element -the works!    I would much appreciate some guidance or links to where I can buy the necessary supplies.

Maj

devo

Most everything you need will be right here
http://www.susanminor.org/

GusRobin

Devo has you covered -- I would recommend adding the switch when you do the second element mod
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

here is what i done..

heater mod:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.msg209917#msg209917

Pid timer controller

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25377.msg305356#msg305356
the timer is set to turn off the smoke generator after 4 hours from start up  and put a duct around the briquette burner to help with the heat removal from the blower...  works  quite well

TedEbear

Quote from: Majes on May 28, 2012, 09:46:01 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to provide links and/or instructions for the best combination of mods to the OBS?   I'm thinking PID, fan, dual element -the works!    I would much appreciate some guidance or links to where I can buy the necessary supplies.

Going all out, are ya?   :) 

Here is a list of some of the popular mods people have done.  I added a second element and internal PID controller to mine.  I was going to add a fan but several people say it didn't make much difference when they did theirs unless you add a really big fan blade, around 5" or so.

Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

900W Finned Element

900W Heater and Blower Mod

900W Heater Mod Pics

Internal PID Controller

Auber Plug & Play PIDs - Single/Dual Probes

Circulation Fan

Front Feet Modification

Here are some pics of mine:

GusRobin

I have also added extra racks (ok, ok, I bought a kit but haven't installed it yet, but will some day). With a 4 rack adding the extra rails give you more leeway on the placement of racks based upon meat size.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Kahunas

Sounds like these guys got you covered.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Majes

Thanks everyone!   Got my PID, SSR, Heat Sink and Thermocoupler coming from Auber and the other goodies from Yard & Pool!   Now I have to search out a Radio Shack.

Majes

TedEBear:

Can you explain the extra switch to the right of your PID display?   Did you wire your 2nd element into the circuit with or without the temperature sensor in the back of the cabinet?

TedEbear

Quote from: Majes on May 30, 2012, 04:33:40 AM
Can you explain the extra switch to the right of your PID display?   Did you wire your 2nd element into the circuit with or without the temperature sensor in the back of the cabinet?

The extra switch turns on/off the PID controller and future circulation fan after the temp reaches 100*F, if I eventually add a fan.

I kept the high temp sensor in the circuit in series for both elements.

Habanero Smoker

TedEBear:

Just something to consider. If you make a stand alone PID, you can also use the PID for controlling other heating appliances; such as crock pots, electric frying pans etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

I have one of each. But I was wondering why you cant use a dual one on those Hab?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: viper125 on June 01, 2012, 10:01:48 AM
I have one of each. But I was wondering why you cant use a dual one on those Hab?

Sorry! It's been a long day for me, and I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to using a dual to control other devices, or to control the OBS, or to make your own PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 30, 2012, 01:16:30 PM
TedEBear:

Just something to consider. If you make a stand alone PID, you can also use the PID for controlling other heating appliances; such as crock pots, electric frying pans etc.

I meant why a single and not a dual. I may have missed some thing too. Like you said a long day. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

I was referring to instead of building the PID inside the generator, if you build your own PID; a stand alone PID built in a separate box, can be used in a variety of ways. But you give up the convenience of having the PID already hooked up and ready to go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.