Rain - outfitted bradley

Started by bostonsmoker, June 01, 2012, 06:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

Any thoughts of how to smoke in the rain?  Gonna rain in my area this weekend, and my weekends are for smoking. i could move into a garage, but given a potential for fire, i'm not comfortable.
anyone hack an umbrella to the top?

GusRobin

the garage would be okay if you keep an eye on it. Or smoke in the garage and when the smoke time is done, move to your kitchen oven.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Yep..    ;D

I went back and used a C clamp to attach it a little higher.   Just watch out for the wind.

beefmann

garage would be good  while leaving the door open to keep the  smoke out, I  know you  wont have time to do this, however it is a good  idea to have it protected from the elements year round in a storage shed like this:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581.msg213170#msg213170

KyNola

One of those patio umbrellas that sit in a base will work too.  Some of them are adjustable so you can "face it" towards the wind and rain.

ghost9mm

We use one of these, and you can get them pretty cheap at Walmart...Easyup

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

bus33

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 01, 2012, 06:52:38 AM

Yep..    ;D

I went back and used a C clamp to attach it a little higher.   Just watch out for the wind.

Haha.....this is exactly what I did this weekend!  My umbrella smells awesome too!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 01, 2012, 06:52:38 AM

Yep..    ;D

GENIOUS!
Mike

mattm

Hey,

To revive this a bit, what exactly is it about the rain that's so bad?  Is it that water on the pucks changes their side?  Is it the smoke generator that's sensitive to rain?  Is it the cabinet itself?  Is the only problem water dripping back into the smoker?

Just curious...

Matt M

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on July 25, 2012, 10:15:27 AM
Quote from: mattm on July 25, 2012, 09:22:44 AM
Hey,

To revive this a bit, what exactly is it about the rain that's so bad?  Is it that water on the pucks changes their side?  Is it the smoke generator that's sensitive to rain?  Is it the cabinet itself?  Is the only problem water dripping back into the smoker?

Just curious...

Matt M

Water and electricity = BAD JU JU!

mattm

Haha, water and electricity is the given, I was more wondering if there's anything else (as in yes, if you create a short by joining two wires via water you will have issues).  I figure not really, or not that I can come up with but then I'm new to this so figured I'd ask.

For example if you've ever tried to bake bread you have to factor in the weather, it's actually quite important because the moisture content of the air can affect the moisture content in the flour causing gluten production when it shouldn't, requiring less external liquids, different cooking time/temp, etc, etc.  Machines used aside, there's a whole slew of issues with rain and you don't even have to be in the rain, just have the moisture enter the house...

Cheers,

Matt M

viper125

Got four hams smoking in the garage now. After all dont want my beer drinking buddies out in the rain watching.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

TashonkaWitko

Hi, I own a BSD only for several weeks. As I want to have it at my backyard during all year (except winter), I've bought a genuine BS cover for it. It provides nice protection, but .... you can't smoke in the rain   :(

So I  decided to build wooden cover/box for my BS. I am not too much skillful, so it was a funny challenge for me. It took two days and result - it's nice  ;) , I am proud of it and what is the most important, it provides full protection against rain - I can smoke whenever I need/want.

Just some pictures : The Box as it is closed - provides nice protection for now - no water drops inside, even rain was quite heavy

Box with main door opened

Another smaller door on the left side - for better handling of digital unit

HOnza

Habanero Smoker

Hi Honza;

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice work. What type of wood is that?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)