Duck Breast

Started by joeduke, June 06, 2012, 03:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeduke

Hi Guys

I have got a couple of Duck Breast for the Smoker, time, temp, wood let me know what to do ;)

manxman

This is one I did a while back and still use.  :)

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?640-Double-Smoked-Duck-Breast&p=998#post998

Note comments on temperature at the bottom from someone else who used the recipe, I have cut back from 160F to around 150F.
Manxman

joeduke

They look great, if i didnt want to cold smoke them how long should I do them hot??
Why fry them at the end?? :D

manxman

QuoteWhy fry them at the end??

Two reasons the first one being duck is very fatty and it removes more excess fat than the hot smoking process alone which improves the flavour and texture IMHO.

Also I like duck skin crispy.  :)

Total smoking time is a matter of personnal taste and I like my smoked food pretty well smoked, if just hot smoking I would apply 2.5 - 3 hours smoke time as a starting point and next time you do some duck you can smoke shorter / longer as preferred.

Nowadays I start quite a lot of my smokes with a spell of cold smoking first then if necessary follow on with a shorter period of applying smoke during the hot smoking period.

Manxman

joeduke

I dont have Oak at the moment what other Wood could I use

mikecorn.1

Quote from: joeduke on June 06, 2012, 05:36:02 AM
I dont have Oak at the moment what other Wood could I use
Have you ever tried maple, I like to use it on thighs. Gives a nice sweet maple flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

joeduke

I will give it a go with Mapel.......... :)

Habanero Smoker

Apple will be a good choice also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Ditto on above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

manxman

I can vouch for apple, used it a couple of times with this recipe. :D