Arroz con gandules and SRG wings ;D

Started by mikecorn.1, June 06, 2012, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Another lil Quick thread.  Most of you may not know what this is but I grew up on it. Rice with pigeon peas. And of course the universal chicken wings ;D

It's more involved than just dumping in a can of the peas in the rice. you can find this in Puerto Rican and Cuban Restaurants. Like many dishes, everyone has their own Lil twist on it.

Again these are iPhone pics. Sorry for the quality of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

Hmmm - seem to be missing the recipe??? ;D ;D ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

The rice is made with olive oil, oregano, tomato sauce, sazon goya, adobo (not the sauce) and sofrito. Not the stuff you get at the store. This is home made from onions, garlic, bell peppers and cilantro. All put in a blender until smooth. Sorry there are no measurements, my wife learned how to make it from my mom. I just called her and she said there are no measurements, if someone wants to learn, they can come watch me  ;D :o.
There is also a certain way you cook it. You have to cook the sofrito in the tomato sauce first and then go from there. Sorry Im not much help with this, its one of those things passed down from way back.  :-[ :'(
I will post some pics of the sofrito when we make more, we usually make a lot and freeze what you are not going to use any time soon. The recipe for it is; there is no recipe.  :o Its so many onions to so many heads of garlic to so many bell peppers and so on. Basically you get it to the color you want. A nice vibrant green.  ;D
Mike

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SiFumar

Smoker John

Nice looking plate, with the ingredients I can just wing it (the rice recipe that is) no pun intended
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sam3

When I was in Costa Rica a few years back, every dinner I had was Chicken and Rice.  ;D  Soooooo good!
Great looking plate Mike!