Shoulder or butt

Started by mhiykmeel63, June 07, 2012, 08:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhiykmeel63

Hey guys, gf grabbed a shoulder since the store was outta butts, can that be used for pulled pork or do we find a different store and grab a butt? Thank in advance

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

KyNola

Ditto!  The shoulder will work just fine.

mhiykmeel63

Anything special I'll have to do? Time and temp the same?

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mhiykmeel63

Habanero Smoker

Did the package say shoulder, or whole shoulder, or picnic shoulder, or shoulder roast etc. A lot of places label the butt as shoulder. Either way you cook them the same, though if it is a picnic shoulder I like to take them out around 165 - 170°F and slice. But many prefer them for pulled pork over the butt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

ive done both very little difference in taste if at all in my  opinion

ghost9mm

Quote from: beefmann on June 07, 2012, 04:44:58 PM
ive done both very little difference in taste if at all in my  opinion

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Habanero Smoker

A lot of people can't detect any difference. I guess it all depends on how they are prepared. I find a distinct difference in taste, especially if you know where the cushion cut of the picnic is at, and serve that separate from the other slices. That is what I consider the money muscle of the picnic. But again, I only take them to 165 - 170°F. I can see taking them higher, you would loose a lot of the picnic's characteristics.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Yes you can make fine pulled pork from a shoulder.

At last years NEPASO, KyNola, stc & hal sent a prime Snake River Farms Kurobuta whole fresh poke bone in and i took it to 190* on my MAK

TURNED OUT FANTASTIC.

mhiykmeel63

Just got home and was prepping everything when I notriced the package said it was a picnic roast and it looks like it has skin on it, am I in trouble?

KyNola

mhiykmeel63

Im all set to rub it down, but don't want to start a possible disaster here

KyNola

If it does have a skin on it trim the skin off and rub it and throw it in the smoker.  In the words of our friend ClassicRockGriller "You can't hurt it......it's dead."

Go for it.  When it hits an internal temp of 195 or so It's done and should pull just fine.