Shoulder or butt

Started by mhiykmeel63, June 07, 2012, 08:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Sound like a picnic shoulder, though I've never heard of a picnic roast. A picnic shoulder will have a long round bone.

To make it into pulled pork, follow KyNola's suggestion. Many prefer the picnic for pulled pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 08, 2012, 01:58:25 AM
A lot of people can't detect any difference. I guess it all depends on how they are prepared. I find a distinct difference in taste, especially if you know where the cushion cut of the picnic is at, and serve that separate from the other slices. That is what I consider the money muscle of the picnic. But again, I only take them to 165 - 170°F. I can see taking them higher, you would loose a lot of the picnic's characteristics.

Hab, I sometimes see the "Cushion" or "pllows" I think they sometimes call them, in a large cryovac pack on sale pretty cheap at our local restaurant supply store. Would that yield a premium pulled pork?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

squirtthecat

From our 'Ask A Butcher' who wrote some articles for the Bradley Forum Newsletter..

http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pork&action=display&thread=104

It's part of the picnic cut.

We see picnic roasts here.   No bone, and cut & rolled, then tied up in netting.   I've never thought of making pulled pork out of one, but I just might give it a shot if I see one in the 'used meat' bin.   ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: 4given on June 09, 2012, 08:51:07 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 08, 2012, 01:58:25 AM
A lot of people can't detect any difference. I guess it all depends on how they are prepared. I find a distinct difference in taste, especially if you know where the cushion cut of the picnic is at, and serve that separate from the other slices. That is what I consider the money muscle of the picnic. But again, I only take them to 165 - 170°F. I can see taking them higher, you would loose a lot of the picnic's characteristics.

Hab, I sometimes see the "Cushion" or "pllows" I think they sometimes call them, in a large cryovac pack on sale pretty cheap at our local restaurant supply store. Would that yield a premium pulled pork?

It depends on an individuals taste. A lot of people like the picnic for pulled pork, I generally will use it for sliced pork. The cushion; the long, slimmer and tapered muscle of the picnic, is leaner than the shoulder, but still has plenty of fat. So it will make good pulled pork. I've never purchase a cushion that is sold separately, so price may also play a factor.

Cushions, that are sold separately are generally used for roast, but if you get a good price you should test one or two to see if you like the cushion over the butt for pulled pork. Either way you can't go wrong.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mhiykmeel63

Saw some other posts that said to leave the skin on, then it should pull right off and try to scrape as much park off as you can and mix it in. Guess I'll find out in a few more hours.....I also have a turkey Im smoking tomorrow so I have a fall back plan!

Habanero Smoker

I know this is too late, but if you only have the picnic part and not the whole shoulder, most of the time you would want to remove the skin and most of the fat prior to cooking, as KyNola pointed out in his post. If you only have the picnic, and you cook it with the skin then discard the skin and fat, you are throwing away a lot the flavor. Your meat will be alright, just may lack in smoke/BBQ flavor. I'm not sure how much bark you will be able to recover. If you can't scrape much bark off, scrape as much fat off the skin as you can, then cut some of the skin up into small pieces; place it in a food processor or mini-food process, pulse until the skin is minced, then add to your pork.

You should have a few sauces that people can used. I generally will have a couple of vinegar sauces, couple of tomato based sauces, and one or two mustard sauces.

If you are smoking/cooking a whole shoulder then a lot of people leave the skin on to protect that area while the butt (upper shoulder area) is exposed to the seasonings and smoke. I only leave the skin on a picnic is when I'm making Cuban Style BBQ Pork, and the skin is served with the pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mhiykmeel63

It seems to have turned out pretty well. I pulled it at about 190 and it damn near fell apart in my hands. The skin came right off and it was super moist underneath. Tasted a few samples and it was really good, sitting in the crock pot reheating with some sauce right now. All in all I think I pulled it off. Now just letting the turkey breast take its turn in the Bradley. Thanx for all the help guys!

viper125

Well thats no way to say thanks! Were is the pics or did I miss them! LOL Come on share them with us.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mhiykmeel63

Ive never been able to post pics on here, I did post them on the bradley fb page tho....sorry

viper125

Posting pics is easy. There really should be a post or sticky to show people how. So here is a utube video. If you need more help feel free to pm me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehxvujkalM
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mhiykmeel63

Hope this posts,this is the finished product

mhiykmeel63

sjmcdowall

GoCobbers95

Does anyone have a link to website that can school me on pork roasts.

After reading this thread I feel very much under qualified to be working with pork...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: GoCobbers95 on June 25, 2012, 06:30:19 PM
Does anyone have a link to website that can school me on pork roasts.

After reading this thread I feel very much under qualified to be working with pork...

Do you mean on how to prepare and cook them; or do you mean a site that will help you identify the types of cuts.

Types of Pork Cuts, just google "Pork Meat Chart" or "Pork Primal Cut Diagram".

Weber Virtual Bullet Chart Pork Chart

Amazing Ribs Pork Chart

How to prepare:

Virtual Bullet

Amazing Ribs

or search this site or the Recipe Site

I
         don't
                   inhale.