Sauce with beer in it...will it go bad????

Started by Consooger, June 09, 2012, 12:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

I am looking at making a recipe I have put together for a sauce and it has beer in it. Hopefully someone can answer this but, do I have to use this sauce right away or can I store it and allow it to "age" without going bad? I was planning on sealing it in mason jars and if need be putting it in the fridge but I wasn't sure if anyone had experienced this before?

This will be my first time making a sauce with beer.

- John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

In commercial beer, the yeast is dead, home brew you may have live yeast, but if the sauce is cooked prior to canning that will kill any living yeast.

Whether the sauce has beer or not; shelf live will mainly depend on the acidity of your sauce, and/or preservatives that are in the sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SiFumar

I'll defer to HS on good info.  My sauce has beer in it and it's not cooked.  I've made it for 30yrs and my Dad did for at least 20yrs before that.  We freeze the sauce.  We go threw a bottle at least every 2 weeks.  Thaw in refrigerator.  I date them when I take out.  I found a "lost" one that got pushed back in fridge that was a month old and didn't notice any off taste and I didn't get sick on using it.  It's worked for my family for 50+ years.  Not saying it's right...just saying this is how we have done it.

Consooger

I'm toying around with using some Guinness or Sam Adam's in a sauce that I'm putting together. I will try a batch to use immediately and then keep one for a few weeks and crack that open to see if there is a difference. There will be some vinegar in my sauce as well but nothing more than about 3-4 tbsp's.

I will let everyone know how this goes. If it comes out amazing I don't know if I will post recipe  :P :-X

Thanks again for the help on the beer!

- John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

sjmcdowall

Quote from: SiFumar on June 09, 2012, 06:24:16 AM
I'll defer to HS on good info.  My sauce has beer in it and it's not cooked.  I've made it for 30yrs and my Dad did for at least 20yrs before that.  We freeze the sauce.  We go threw a bottle at least every 2 weeks.  Thaw in refrigerator.  I date them when I take out.  I found a "lost" one that got pushed back in fridge that was a month old and didn't notice any off taste and I didn't get sick on using it.  It's worked for my family for 50+ years.  Not saying it's right...just saying this is how we have done it.

If the sauce has been around that long -- it's gotta be pretty good -- what's the recipe!! :)

SiFumar

sjmcdowall